Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

hacked wifi network

tmaybe
Follower

hacked wifi network

My data usage has gone through the roof and I've been told my network was likely hacked.  I changed the network password and the data usage went down to "normal" for a month and this month it is excessive again. Is there a way to see a log as to who logs onto my network?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: hacked wifi network

I think you can check the system logs under Administration, it will list connected devices with IP address and MAC address so you'll have to narrow down what devices are online and you can get physical access too check this against what you see. Also look at the connected clients list on the RBRs web page as well. 

Message 2 of 3
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: hacked wifi network

@tmaybe wrote:

My data usage has gone through the roof and I've been told my network was likely hacked.  I changed the network password and the data usage went down to "normal" for a month and this month it is excessive again. Is there a way to see a log as to who logs onto my network?

It seems very unlikely to me that your home network is hacked and especially if you changed your wireless network that it would happen again.  How much data usage are you talking about?  Was the ISP support just guessing or did they look at actual data to determine that you were hacked?  Do you have any Nest or other always-on wireless cameras (these use quite a bit of bandwidth, especially if you don't ratchet down their quality level)?  

Alternatively, you may have rogue devices that are using much more bandwidth than you expect.  Review all of the connected devices via the Orbi's list of connected devices.  For phones, check their reports of network usage to verify that they aren't doing a lot overnight or something.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7