× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Change Default Password on MS510TX

GoBlazers
Aspirant

Can't Change Default Password on MS510TX

I recently upgraded to the MS510TX switch.  I have begun configuring the switch using the default password and the web browser interface.  I updated to firmware version 6.7.0.51 (latest update) last night, but even before the update (from version 6.7.0.42), I was not able to change the password. 

When I logon, I'm prompted to change the default password.  When I complete that pop-up screen (the password meets the criteria; multiple uppercase, multiple lower case, multiple special characters and is between 8 and 20 digits in length), the system gives me a notice that the password has been changed, and prompts me to logon using the new password.  When I click OK, it returns to the logon screen,  but the new password was never saved, and the logon password is still the default password. 

When I attempt to change the password in the browser interface, a "Notice" pops up which states, "The Password cannot be updated. No such user admin."

Lastly, I attempted to enable admin on the SCC app, and update the password from the SCC app, but that gave me an error that just states it was unable to change the password and that a possible reason is that the password does not meet the minimum length criteria. 

Please help, I do not like leaving the switch connected to my network with such a vulnerability. 

Model: MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
GoBlazers
Aspirant

Re: Can't Change Default Password on MS510TX

Update:  I have tried another password variation that did NOT contain special characters, and that one was accepted and saved to the device.  The password has now been changed from the default password, but it seems there are restrictions on multiple special characters that the system will actually acceptable. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Scratch SCC - it was EoL a long time before the MS510TX/MS510TXPP were launched. No idea why Netgear does still list SCC in the downloads for all these switches.

Have a bunch of MS510TX out in the field, convinced we have changed the passwords several times with 6.7.0.50 and 6.7.0.51.

This leads to the question which "special" chars are used in the new password, or why these might slide-through the input parsing. 

Message 2 of 6
GoBlazers
Aspirant

I've tried several passwords that meet the requirements and utilize different special characters which should not be a problem.  None of them work.  I contacted the support team at NETGEAR and they are looking into the issue as well, but still have no clue why the password won't save. 

Message 3 of 6
GoBlazers
Aspirant

Update:  I have tried another password variation that did NOT contain special characters, and that one was accepted and saved to the device.  The password has now been changed from the default password, but it seems there are restrictions on multiple special characters that the system will actually acceptable. 

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

For the still guessing reader - what special chars do you have in mind causing the issue?

Message 5 of 6
GoBlazers
Aspirant

The first password iteration had an “!”
Another iteration had a “(“
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation