× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failover link between two GS728TPs

jasonh148
Aspirant

Failover link between two GS728TPs

I have two GS728 switches in different buildings. There are two links between the buildings; a point-to-point wireless and a fibre. I would like to have both connected to the switches and have the switches automatically use the fibre as primary path to each other, and PtP wireless as a secondary/failover.

What is the best way to set this up? I've seen it done before using STP priority. But from reading through documentaiton, LACP might be best?

If LACP, I think I understand the concept - put the two ports in the same channel, and assign one a priority over the other? I've never setup LACP so wonddering if there's any pointers or something I can read that gives a better understanding than the switch manual - e.g. do I configure this on both switches or just one? Does anything at all need to be done on the other switch (e.g. disable STP?)

Model: GS728TPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (190W)
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Failover link between two GS728TPs

Afraid, LACP is to aggregate two or more links with the same link sped and latency only.

STP, much more RSTP, is your friend for such a config.

Message 2 of 4
jasonh148
Aspirant

Good to know, thanks!

For RSTP, how do I tell it which port is primary/secondary? CST Configuration settings, set the port priority?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

In STP and RSTP, it's about the interface path cost. The cost prioritizes routing to the destination. The lower the cost, the higher the priority.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements