× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hash Mode and Throughput Problems With GS724Tv4 Link Aggregation (LAG) Using LACP With Synology

Mic-cosmos
Follower

Hash Mode and Throughput Problems With GS724Tv4 Link Aggregation (LAG) Using LACP With Synology

This is an updated set of questions to a problem that I had with a similar scenario here. Basically, with the previous scenario, I was able to "fix" the issue by setting the hash policy to "layer3+4".

I have since upgraded the GS116Ev2 to GS724Tv4 (firmware 6.3.1.36) and am now using LACP instead of static LAG. Default hash policy "layer2 0" on the Synology would only result in 1Gbps bandwidth while pulling with two clients. This is again "fixed" by changing the hash policy to "layer3+4".

My questions:

1) Is it because that the GS724Tv4 remains a layer 2 switch and the LAG to Syno continue to use 1 MAC address that while operating hash policy "layer 2 0" that I'm only able to pull 1Gbps? This is regardless of whether my LAG is connected using static or LACP?

2) Is there a setting that I can set on GS724Tv4 that would recognize that the Syno LAG is actually two MAC addresses and thus would allow hash policy "layer 2 0" to work?

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Hash Mode and Throughput Problems With GS724Tv4 Link Aggregation (LAG) Using LACP With Synology

@Mic-cosmos wrote:

Default hash policy "layer2 0" on the Synology would only result in 1Gbps bandwidth while pulling with two clients. This is again "fixed" by changing the hash policy to "layer3+4".

Permitting this is tested on the same local switch: Reads to me the Syno does not properly put the L2 MAC TX hash policy in place.  Nothing the switch can change on this....

Just for the curiosity, can you grab the Linux bonding driver details from the running system? Somethig like # cat /proc/net/bonding/bond*

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements