× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JGS516 - Installed by IT company who is now out of business leaving us with no access to settings!

Graham219
Initiate

JGS516 - Installed by IT company who is now out of business leaving us with no access to settings!

Our office was wired and set-up by a small IT business which has disappeared at the dismay and expense of several companies in our office building.

We only have a password to allow devices to connect to the system.

We do not know how to enter the NetGear JGS516 itself.

We, as several other tenants, believe the fugitive has access to our systems and would like to know if we can reset the JGS516 to enter our own passwords and make our office secure again.

None of us are highly technical people.

I have superficial experience in setting up wireless routers in our previous office locations and at home.  I'm hoping this situation is not vastly different and either someone can provide directions as to a "Factory Reset" or guide me to the correct source to achieve this correction.

Thank you to any one whose willing!

Mike

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Re: JGS516 - Installed by IT company who is now out of business leaving us with no access to setting

Hi Graham,

The JGS516 does not have a management interface to connect to. The switch is in our unmanaged product line category and uses an auto-configured mac address table to forward network traffic. It is merely a plug and play device.

Let me know if this helps you with this request.

Thanks,

AlexPe

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: JGS516 - Installed by IT company who is now out of business leaving us with no access to sett...

Hi Graham219,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The JGS516 switch is a pass-through, unmanaged switch.  It has no web-GUI and there is no option to factory reset it.  

What are the devices connected directly to the JGS516 switch?  It would be best that you post a screenshot or image of your detailed network setup.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Re: JGS516 - Installed by IT company who is now out of business leaving us with no access to setting

Hi Graham,

The JGS516 does not have a management interface to connect to. The switch is in our unmanaged product line category and uses an auto-configured mac address table to forward network traffic. It is merely a plug and play device.

Let me know if this helps you with this request.

Thanks,

AlexPe

Message 3 of 4
Graham219
Initiate

Re: JGS516 - Installed by IT company who is now out of business leaving us with no access to sett...

Thank you for your response.  And, for not making fun of my ignorance.
Reading your reply gave me the 'clue' I needed to send me in the right direction.  I've now read a good deal about switches and better understand what I'm looking at.  Our wireless access points (2) are installed in our ceiling and I always thought the 'hardware' for them was what turned out to be the switch.
After eliminating the switch, and tracking the cables, I find the hardware is right there in the ceiling after all.  These items showed only a logo, so what now!
More digging and tracing and I find the name "Ubiquiti" which enough to send me to Google and locating a web site.  There support people were helpful and linked me to the software and procedures I need to make this situation right.  
Sorry for the long response, but I wanted to be clear as to how helpful you were... even though the problem turned out to be elsewhere.  I would not have figured it out without your help.
Never underestimate the ripple effect of being helpful!
The IT company who abandoned us also abandoned this entire office building and I recently discovered, several other office buildings as well.  He had secured a contract to do multiple office buildings and let them all down.  However, he wired us all the same.  So, with your help, I'll be able to spread the word as to what's needed to make everyone feel a little more in control and a little more secure!

Thanks again!

Mike
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements