× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple VLANS on GS105Ev2 with a printer common to both

bpjohnson
Tutor

Multiple VLANS on GS105Ev2 with a printer common to both

I have a home computer and a work computer and they are to share a common printer.  I'd like to have the two computers on different VLANs.  How do I configure my GS105Ev2 to do this?  I also have an R7800 router, which I believe supports VLAN routing.

Thanks. 

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
bpjohnson
Tutor

Re: Multiple VLANS on GS105Ev2 with a printer common to both

DaneA,

Hello.  Thank you for your thoughful reply and the links to the resources; much appreciated.

Am I to understand that, as my R7800 router is not VLAN-aware, I cannot configure a VLAN independanlt of the router, using just the GS105Ev2 switch?

Brian

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @bpjohnson,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As far as I have checked, VLAN Routing is not supported on the R7800.  The R7800 router belongs to the Nighthawk R7000 series in which VLAN feature that it supports is designed just to separate WAN services provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).  As reference, kindly read the second-to-the last FAQ in the article below:

R7000 FAQs

I suggest you to have a VLAN-aware router like the BR500 instead.  To know the specification of the BR500, check its data sheet below:

BR500 Data Sheet

In setting up VLANs in the GS105Ev2 switch, kindly access the article below and use it as your reference guide:

How to configure VLANs on a ProSAFE Web Managed Plus Switch with shared access to the internet

The printer should be a member of both VLANs untagged.  

Be reminded that VLAN Routing is not supported in the GS105Ev2 switch.  If you need VLAN Routing, I suggest you any of the Smart Cloud Switches indicated on the data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
bpjohnson
Tutor

DaneA,

Hello.  Thank you for your thoughful reply and the links to the resources; much appreciated.

Am I to understand that, as my R7800 router is not VLAN-aware, I cannot configure a VLAN independanlt of the router, using just the GS105Ev2 switch?

Brian

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

You can, but there won't be any routing Even then, many consumer and small business printers won't be available or discoverable beyond a single subnet.

Message 4 of 5
bpjohnson
Tutor

Oh, I see.  Ok, thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements