× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS712Tv2 switch - L3 routing between two separate networks?

shpokas
Follower

XS712Tv2 switch - L3 routing between two separate networks?

Hi,

There are two different entities that however trust each other to a certain degree.

Each entity has it's own LAN and switches and gateway and internet connection.

I need to interconnect these nets via 10 Gb ethernet using existing switches, Netgear XS712v2 on "my" side and Mikrotik on the other one.

The idea is that entities could use each other's services and do so using 10 Gb ethernet which matters a lot for them, because files are huge.

There are already VLANs on "my" side, meaning that some devices are in a "default" VLAN from switch port perspective.

Don't know much yet about the other side but it is safe to assume they have some VLANs as well.

One possibility would be to create another VLAN and tag all participating ports and  then add a separate interface on each device using tagged VLAN.

It is doable because I'd guess the total number of devices is not huge, perhaps 10 or so.

What I don't understand is how L3 routing works and if could I use that instead.

Would L3 routing on switches somehow would make this task easier so that I don't have to add a VLAN tagged interface on each device?

Also, can L3 routing as I see it on XS712v2 switch coexist with 802.1q tagged VLANs?

Many thanks,

shpokas

Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: XS712Tv2 switch - L3 routing between two separate networks?

@shpokas,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Would L3 routing on switches somehow would make this task easier so that I don't have to add a VLAN tagged interface on each device?

It depends on how well you know how the network is configured on the Mikrotik side and your side.

can L3 routing as I see it on XS712v2 switch coexist with 802.1q tagged VLANs?

L3 routing is not supported on the XS712Tv2 switch.  However, if there is already an existing Layer 3 switch with Layer 3 routing configured properly, the XS712Tv2 switch should work with it given that it is also properly configured.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements