× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Cant login to new M4250 switch

LightSix
Follower

Cant login to new M4250 switch

I bought 2 of these routers and now I'm trying to set them up. I can get to the login page of the switch, and the manual states that with a first-time login, I need to enter admin as username with no password, but every time I try that it says wrong username/password. If tried with both AV login and Main login I get lockout every time. 

I have tried it via the ethernet port and the OOB port. What am I doing wrong here? 

Message 1 of 2
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Cant login to new M4250 switch

Hi @LightSix ,

Sorry about that, it means that both switches (if you have the same problem on both) were used before, and the previous Admin user created a password for them. After a number of tentatives, you're locked out.

The manuals are right, when the switch is factory default, there is no password yet and at first login using "admin" account, you need to let the password blank, and then the switch is asking for the creation of the password.

Don't worry, in that case, you just need to "factory default" both switches.  Please follow my method below, one switch after the other:

• Power off the switch using the on/off switch button
  • Power on the switch using the on/off button
  • Wait for the complete boot time, until the Power LED is green, static
  • Insert (very gently) a pin into the "Reset" pin hole just left of the OOB port, near the USB-C console port, and stay put, pressing the reset pin during 7 to 8 seconds, until the Power LED turns amber
  • Remove the pin and let the switch do the factory reset, it's like a soft boot
  • When the Power LED is green again and static, you can then login to the Web Interface following the Install Guide https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/M4250/M4250_IG_EN.pdf

If you are using one of the LAN ports and don't have a DHCP server, you can set your Network card (NIC) to 169.254.100.200 255.255.0.0 and get your browser to 169.254.100.100

This time. at login enter "admin" and no password, the switch is brand new (NETGEAR factory default config) and you will be able create your password.

I hope this will help you! During weekdays, don't hesitate to write an email to ProAVDesign@netgear.com for any help.

Also, we have a new collection of Application Notes to help you configure the AV Line switches, please check https://www.netgear.com/hub/business/av/av-tech-guides/

Regards,

Laurent Masia

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR