× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

GS724v4 AVB compatibility.

dspguy
Initiate

GS724v4 AVB compatibility.

Trying to get a GS724Tv4 (fw: 6.3.1.19) swithch to work in a MOTU AVB audio system but getting frequent msrpPduRead errors.  I confiqured it following Biamp's AVB setup instructions .  In querring various other AVB audio manufactures about AVB switch compatibily, MOTU, Presonus and XMOS all say this switch cannot be configured to work reliably in their AVB networks.

Per Presonus' updated article on this switch

"...Testing subsequently showed that they could not be made to work reliably, so they were removed from the supported list.

PreSonus Engineering has been working directly with Netgear Support and Engineering but the cause of the problem has not yet been able to be identified, so these switches remain unsupported until further notice. Engineering efforts in conjunction with Netgear are ongoing though, and any changes to the support status will be noted accordingly."

This is a year old with no updates.

MOTU's response per phone support was somewhat more pointed - "doesn't work - stay away"

Any help?

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS724v4 AVB compatibility.

Hi @dspguy,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Not sure if this will help.  Kindly try the solution indicated on the forum thread below:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/GS724Tv4-and-AVB/td-p/1325902

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
dspguy
Initiate

Thanks DaneA , I saw this one when I was looking for prior posts, but I don't see how it helps me.   Netgear being a member of avnu says nothing about the complience certification/compatibility of any of its products.  I haven't found anything that indicates sucessful avnu complience verification of any of Netgear's switches.

I've browsed the referenced documentation but I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting my difficultities.  I started with the Biamp configuration file in hopes it might work with other AVB complient products (no luck for me).  I asked my question in hopes someone had gotten this switch reliabily working in a MOTU or Presonus AVB network enviornment.  Given the comments from MOTU, Presonus, Xmos, etc, and the lack of encouraging postings in this fourm I didn't want to spend a lot of time on a hopeless cause.  From what I have been able to find, Biamp's is the only AVB audio equipment that is known to reliably work with this switch and Netgear's extra cost AVB license (BSS used to sell a branded version of this switch with it's own proprietary firmware - now discontinued).

I'd like to be wrong heren but it seems the only solution for a managed, AVB complient switch (or for that matter any switch with more than five ports) are the Extreem Networks Summit series.

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @dspguy,

I inquired your concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and got a feedback today.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, it would be best that you open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime and let them know about your concern and it will get escalated to the engineering team for further investigation.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR