Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readycloud for Mac OS

Tommo71
Aspirant

Re: Readycloud for Mac OS

Yes, that worked, found I needed to copy it to the applications folder and run it from there, still got the error, but was then able to override it.

Installed cleanly and can now see that I'm running v1.8 and am able to connect to my ReadyNAS.

Many Thanks

Message 26 of 41
mkrt
Star

just want to confirm for everybody that pkg from Marc_V works. also don't forget to tick 'Enhance MacOS' option for SMB protocol in your device settings.

Message 27 of 41
boris_005
Tutor

If by working you mean installing, then yes. If by working you mean it fixed all the issues i'm experiencing, then no. I still can't connect to the VPN. 

Message 28 of 41
Jdotcox90
Guide

I can only access the NAS when i am on the local wifi. 

When I go out in the field it says nas Online (VPN Disconnected). This is Extremely aggravating.

Please help get this resolved. @Marc_V 

Message 29 of 41
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried to check other devices when connecting to mobile or other network also gets the same issue? Have you tried rebooting the NAS?

Message 30 of 41
Osmium
Guide

Same issues we have this problem for 3 months already

Message 31 of 41
Osmium
Guide

doesnt work....

Only LAN is working on 1.8 of readycloud for mac but the Disconnected VPN is never fixed... 

i have a bunch of people relying on Readycloud for mac and we are all moving away from it because its impossible to work with it.

Marc we really need a solution for the disconnected vpn's on mac because so meny people on mac's have this issue now and its getting out of hand.

its been months and all we got is a PKG file for 1.8 that installs but doenst work because of disconnected vpn.

Only i can say this windows it works great no complains there. 

please make sure they fix this asap. 

Message 32 of 41
flip68
Aspirant

It's been a few months since the last post.

I just downloaded the Mac ReadyCloud client 1.9 on Mac OS Monterey 12.6 and I can not connect either locally or remotely via the VPN connection. 

Has anyone got this working?

Message 33 of 41
Jdotcox90
Guide

I still have not seen a fix for this. Is there any chance that this will be fixed? Do I need to sell my macbook or switch to a different Server all together.

This is really frustrating.

Thank you

Message 34 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@Jdotcox90 wrote:

I still have not seen a fix for this. Is there any chance that this will be fixed? Do I need to sell my macbook or switch to a different Server all together.

Netgear is discontinuing ReadyCloud for ReadyNAS next July - so I would look for a different solution.

Personally I use OpenVPN for remote access. 

Message 35 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

ZeroTier is another option, and the one I use.  It's especially suited if all you want is remote access to one or two devices, not to have full network access remotely.

Message 36 of 41
Jdotcox90
Guide

I am just trying to be able to access and edit files on server from an app on my Mac. Similar to what ready cloud should do.
Message 37 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

Locally or remotely?  If the NAS is on your local LAN, you never needed ReadyCloud at all.

Message 38 of 41
Jdotcox90
Guide

Remotely. I am having to work on the road quite a bit. Accessing files is impossible from my Mac on the road.
Message 39 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@Jdotcox90 wrote:
Remotely. I am having to work on the road quite a bit. Accessing files is impossible from my Mac on the road.

Then a VPN is a good solution.  ZeroTier will work, as will OpenVPN.  Personally I use OpenVPN because it is built into my Netgear router (an Orbi in my case, though Nighthawk routers also have it built in).

Message 40 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

A more typical VPN, like OpenVPN, will allow you to connect to your entire home network remotely.  It may already be included in your router's firmware.

ZeroTier works differently -- similar to ReadyCloud in some ways.  It creates an alternative virtual network for just the devices it's running on (unless you choose bridge mode).  In my case, my main NAS is 192.196.0.42 locally and 192.168.192.42 via ZeroTier.  I can remotely do anything I can do locally via ZeroTier just by specifying the ZeroTier IP address instead of a local one.  The ReadyNAS-specific version of ZeroTier is pretty old, but still works.  Or you can install a newer one via SSH.  Versions are available for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Android.  I use all those but the Mac version.

While not something you seem to currently need, both can also be used for remote backup.  My remote backup unit at my brother's home 4 states away (far from any hurricane that might hit me) is 192.196.192.100 on ZeroTier.  Note that unless I've specifically allowed a device onto my ZeroTier network (via their ZeroTier Central server), those ZeroTier IP addresses are inaccessible, so I can safely give them out here.

An advantage (at least in my eyes) of one of these over ReadyCloud is that you use the same credentials, and have the same personal folder, whether local or remote.  One disadvantage for a prior user of ReadyCloud can be that ReadyCloud users will have to be converted to local users.

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements