Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: i feel like a BETA tester - OS 6

s4mb4
Aspirant

i feel like a BETA tester - OS 6

Hello Netgear,

I am the owner of a ReadyNAS 516. I am also the owner of a Pioneer NVX and a Pro Business.
I wanted the RN-516 because i wanted ReadyCloud. the thought of accessing my files and being able to upload to my device from anywhere was worth it to me. (i know this is possible with older devices, but not out of the box)

I assumed that EVERYTHING else i had come to expect from my readyNAS would still be available.

1. ReadyDLNA does NOT work. WD TV Live, XBOX, Sony Bravia TV, IOS Plug Player, etc.... It DOES NOT work.
2. Plex will blow up if too many files are added to it. (this is NOT an issue on my older devices). While i AM watching something from Plex, i get these errors;
System volume 'root' usage is 93 %. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Please contact technical support.
3. Transmission cannot survive a reboot. If the system is rebooted, Transmission needs to be re-installed. and the default download directory become /Donwloads. <-- see the bad spelling.

I know i cannot blame Netgear for 2 and 3, but I sure as heck can for #1.

Plex, How hard is it to make your software work on Debian Wheezy.... must be near impossbile since it doesn't currently.
Super Poussin, you should be ashamed of yourself for accepting $4.99 for Transmission that cannot survive a reboot.

to all the people that complained "How come my older devices will not be upgraded to OS 6?", you should get down on your knees and kiss Netgears feet for not letting you do this. OS 6 blows compaired to 4.22

I want 4.22 on the new hardware..
Message 1 of 24
Chewbacca
Aspirant

What version of ReadyNAS Firmware are you running?

Ill look into it here more.

Thanks
Message 2 of 24
s4mb4
Aspirant

Thanks Chewie...

ReadyDLNA does not show up on any of my DLNA clients. I have several. It does show up on the IOS app called ReadyDLNA. But that does not work either. when the screen sleeps, the app stops playing.
Message 3 of 24
chirpa
Luminary

You are a beta tester...

s4mb4 wrote:
1. ReadyDLNA does NOT work. WD TV Live, XBOX, Sony Bravia TV, IOS Plug Player, etc.... It DOES NOT work.
How many shares to you have DLNA enabled for? Can you try just one share with limited amount of files in it? There have been reports on the 4.2 platform of DLNA puking on some file formats, you may be seeing the same, where it crashes when it hits an odd file.

s4mb4 wrote:
Plex, How hard is it to make your software work on Debian Wheezy.... must be near impossbile since it doesn't currently.
Plex works fine on other platforms and stand alone distributions. It is more likely growing pains with the new addon SDK in 6.0. NTGR also bundles in Plex to the firmware, so Plex can't be as flexible as a stand alone add-on to provide quick updates; viewtopic.php?p=393007#p393007.

s4mb4 wrote:
Super Poussin, you should be ashamed of yourself for accepting $4.99 for Transmission that cannot survive a reboot.
Same as above on Plex. SP's addon works fine on 4.1/4.2/5.3, it is likely the same SDK pains in 6.0 causing this issue. NTGR changed a lot in the new SDK and are not communicating clearly on the outstanding issues. It is not just Transmission, other add-ons like htop,Subsonic also have this issue where Genie uninstalls them each reboot. You can see issues reported by SP even in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=390451#p390451
Message 4 of 24
s4mb4
Aspirant

Re: You are a beta tester...

chirpa wrote:
s4mb4 wrote:
How many shares to you have DLNA enabled for? Can you try just one share with limited amount of files in it? There have been reports on the 4.2 platform of DLNA puking on some file formats, you may be seeing the same, where it crashes when it hits an odd file.

i have tested in with 1 file and as many as 30k. Its not that it does not stream or list, it does not even broadcast itself. To any device.

s4mb4 wrote:
Plex works fine on other platforms and stand alone distributions. It is more likely growing pains with the new addon SDK in 6.0. NTGR also bundles in Plex to the firmware, so Plex can't be as flexible as a stand alone add-on to provide quick updates; viewtopic.php?p=393007#p393007.

this is can accept.

s4mb4 wrote:
Same as above on Plex. SP's addon works fine on 4.1/4.2/5.3, it is likely the same SDK pains in 6.0 causing this issue. NTGR changed a lot in the new SDK and are not communicating clearly on the outstanding issues. It is not just Transmission, other add-ons like htop,Subsonic also have this issue where Genie uninstalls them each reboot. You can see issues reported by SP even in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=390451#p390451

this i CANNOT accept. if there are known issues, they SHOULD NOT appear in the Genie store. maybe i will create some apps and charge for them and when they do not work, just say, "O well, new SDK. I will work on it later"
Message 5 of 24
chirpa
Luminary

Re: You are a beta tester...

s4mb4 wrote:
maybe i will create some apps and charge for them and when they do not work, just say, "O well, new SDK. I will work on it later"
First you need to pay $99 to sign up for the privilege of selling apps 😛 viewtopic.php?p=392569#p392569

It's not an issue so much as the add-on itself, but the SDK framework for Genie. Apparently some of the issues are resolved in 6.0.5 firmware, coming soon?
Message 6 of 24
s4mb4
Aspirant

so if i disable Genie, it will work? that i have not tested. of course, its a catch 22.... without Genie enabled, i can't install....
Message 7 of 24
chirpa
Luminary

s4mb4 wrote:
without Genie enabled, i can't install....
It is possible, via SSH; viewtopic.php?p=390362#p390362
Message 8 of 24
Chewbacca
Aspirant

s4mb4: Does the ReadyNAS show up as a ReadyNas Device via UPNP? If not can you try doing a rescan from the ReadyDLNA service.
Message 9 of 24
s4mb4
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:
s4mb4: Does the ReadyNAS show up as a ReadyNas Device via UPNP? If not can you try doing a rescan from the ReadyDLNA service.

No. It does show up anywhere on my network.
Except for samba and afp...
Message 10 of 24
chirpa
Luminary

Hello and welcome to the NTGR public beta!

Download logs from System>Settings. Open upnp-av.log, paste last ~20 lines.
Message 11 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a setting in the Plex web-admin GUI to change directory where temporary transcode files are stored. See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=393008#p393008

I haven't checked yet to see if setting this survives a firmware update.
Message 12 of 24
Chewbacca
Aspirant

s4mb4: We will look into the Plex issue. Can you send in your logs and I can look into your ReadyDLNA issue.

Thanks
Message 13 of 24
chirpa
Luminary

Add-ons need more QA

NTGR may want to get PlexPass access, the forums there have already covered this issue more than a week ago.

PlexPass currently has version 0.9.7.23.531 available. I also suggest whoever reviews add-ons for Genie to do some actual touch testing, instead of just install/start/stop. If someone ran the add-on to stream some movies, they would have encountered this issue before public release.
Message 14 of 24
s4mb4
Aspirant

Re: Hello and welcome to the NTGR public beta!

chirpa wrote:
Download logs from System>Settings. Open upnp-av.log, paste last ~20 lines.

I have looked multiple times.... I do not have a upnp-av.log

however, those services are running;

root@ReadyNAS-516:/# ps -ef |grep upnp
root 3902 1 0 Apr29 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/upnphttpd
root 7924 4870 0 07:33 pts/0 00:00:00 grep upnp
root@ReadyNAS-516:/# ps -ef |grep dlna
root 4114 1 0 Apr29 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/minidlnad -S
root 7995 4870 0 07:34 pts/0 00:00:00 grep dlna
root@ReadyNAS-516:/#
Message 15 of 24
s4mb4
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:
s4mb4: We will look into the Plex issue. Can you send in your logs and I can look into your ReadyDLNA issue.

Thanks

how do i send in the logs?
Message 16 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

See the How to Send Logs link in Chewbacca's signature. I just updated it to add instructions for sending the logs from the new ReadyNAS OS models.
Message 17 of 24
Chewbacca
Aspirant

s4mb4: Thanks for the logs. Looks like there is a issue that sometimes ReadyDLNA will not load.. We will have it fixed in the 6.0.5 Release that will be released soon.
Message 18 of 24
super_poussin
Virtuoso

s4mb4 wrote:
Hello Netgear,

I am the owner of a ReadyNAS 516. I am also the owner of a Pioneer NVX and a Pro Business.
I wanted the RN-516 because i wanted ReadyCloud. the thought of accessing my files and being able to upload to my device from anywhere was worth it to me. (i know this is possible with older devices, but not out of the box)

I assumed that EVERYTHING else i had come to expect from my readyNAS would still be available.

2. Plex will blow up if too many files are added to it. (this is NOT an issue on my older devices). While i AM watching something from Plex, i get these errors;
System volume 'root' usage is 93 %. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Please contact technical support.
3. Transmission cannot survive a reboot. If the system is rebooted, Transmission needs to be re-installed. and the default download directory become /Donwloads. <-- see the bad spelling.

I know i cannot blame Netgear for 2 and 3, but I sure as heck can for #1.

to all the people that complained "How come my older devices will not be upgraded to OS 6?", you should get down on your knees and kiss Netgears feet for not letting you do this. OS 6 blows compaired to 4.22

I want 4.22 on the new hardware..

On my side a new transmission version is waiting to be published which solved the typo

Regarding the Magie of Genie and the fact that app disappear or uninstall itself, that's not my fault

You can always ask Netgear to send your $4.99 back and FYI I did not follow the genie market to see how much addons are downloaded, I will have the surprise in 1 year when Netgear will send me the amount - netgear's fee - bank fee and taxes for conversion and international transfer. so I let you imagine how many goes in my pocket after all of this. If I was doing addons for money, I shoudl do something else like Gogo Dancer in Vegas, sure I get more money in 1 hour 😛

Imagine there's 30 Transmission sold on Genie :

Total = $150
For me after netgear's part : $100 = 76 €
after tax : 76€ -5% (for change) = 72 € - 35 € bank tax = 37 €

Now imagine time to lear new SDK, create addons, update addons, helps users ...

regards
Message 19 of 24
s4mb4
Aspirant

thanks Super Poussin. I was just venting.... I have been a supporter of yours for many years. (donations, add-on purchases, etc...)

apt-get install transmission-daemon solved my problem. the genie is turned off and probably will be for remainder of this NAS's life. (which may be very, very short)
Message 20 of 24
kervern
Aspirant

there many many problem with OS6 on my reandynas 314 too: ReadyDLNA too, access to my readynas freeze to access file on my 3 pc (navigate directory to directory is so horrible, because so slow, when my file explorer of windows don't crash ! but no problem to access to my readynas ultra 4 , power button to stop in normal mod (not for force to stop) not work, there start the procedure of stopping, but after 12 hours there power on, and there no access of my netgear on html, but plex continu to work on my Tv 😛 ! detection on the network time to time is so slow too ! time to time no access to the market, and my local application ......... i'm a beta tester, and i work gratis :lol:

edit: yesterday my wife want use plex to see a movie, but no access to plex on my Tv ! after see on my pc, no access on my plex by browser ! and impossible to see local application !
Message 21 of 24
fennec
Aspirant

Hello,

Yes, readynas OS 6 seems like a rip off... Dlna does not work, itunesServer does not work, etc...
Impossible to easily find documentation on plex or transmission or SFTP (I mean an official Netgear Documentation).

Thanks for sharing you issues
Now, Netgear's dev and support, please do something!
Message 22 of 24
super_poussin
Virtuoso

fennec wrote:
Hello,

Yes, readynas OS 6 seems like a rip off... Dlna does not work, itunesServer does not work, etc...
Impossible to easily find documentation on plex or transmission or SFTP (I mean an official Netgear Documentation).

Thanks for sharing you issues
Now, Netgear's dev and support, please do something!

If you need some info on transmission, there's a post regarding parameters here : viewtopic.php?f=48&t=39010

Also because that's an addon you will never find a "Netgear Official Documentation", but I can do my best and also some users can help, to answer your questions 🙂
Simply open a topic in the community addons section : viewforum.php?f=36

For the rest I will let Netgear answer
Message 23 of 24
s4mb4
Aspirant

I ordered a DS1512+ by Synology.
after i move my data, I will RMA my RN-516 .... extremely disappointed....
Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements