Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

time machine password reset

GaryW4412
Aspirant

time machine password reset

Hi i cannot seem to be able to change the passwords for users or time machine even though i am logged in as admin.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: time machine password reset

Can you tell us what NAS you have, and what firmware it is running?

Message 2 of 12
GaryW4412
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

Thank you for helping im not sure what Firmware it is running on the overview page it says version 6.10.3

Regards

Gary

Message 3 of 12
GaryW4412
Aspirant

Sorry forgot to say its a ReadyNAS 102

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Are you using Active Directory or local NAS accounts?

If you are using local NAS accounts, what happens when you go to the accounts page in the web ui, select the user, the choose settings, and change the user's password?

Though I don't use Time Machine, my understanding of the setup is that it simply uses the user's account credentials.

Message 5 of 12
GaryW4412
Aspirant

Hi Stephen B

I tried going into Users but it will not let me change the users paqssword?

I can change the Admin password though?

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@GaryW4412 wrote:

I tried going into Users but it will not let me change the users password?

Are you saying that

1. you can't find the setting?
  2. that it is grayed out?
  3. that you get an error when you reset it?
Message 7 of 12
GaryW4412
Aspirant

When i go into accounts i open up the user account and then when i try to cahnge the password it does not save it and reverts back to an olkd password i cannot remembeer

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@GaryW4412 wrote:

When i go into accounts i open up the user account and then when i try to cahnge the password it does not save it and reverts back to an old password i cannot remembeer

It silently doesn't change it?  Is there anything unusual about the new password you are trying to use (very long, or some unusual characters)?

One alternative is to enable ssh, and attempt to change the password using the linux command line.  If you try this, make sure you log in as root (using the NAS admin password).  You'd use the linux command passwd username.

Message 9 of 12
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GaryW4412

Welcome to the Community!

The Time Machine password used to login and backup should be different from the User accounts or the Admin account of the ReadyNAS.

The password is set on the Time machine backup setting of the ReadyNAS. Please see this link.

Regarding the User account passwords, it should let you change it when logged in as admin. Also, have you tried this?

HTH

Message 10 of 12
GaryW4412
Aspirant

Hi Stphen b

Ive tried evrything suggested but cannot change my user or tie machine passwords when im logged in as the admin.

You mention that i should try and and enable SSH do i then log out and relog in as

Username: root

Password : same as admin password

Message 11 of 12
GaryW4412
Aspirant

Hi Marc.

I can log in as the admin but when i try and change the password on the time machine back up setting section it reverts back to a password that i do not know. 

The first link you sent did not open and i cannot reset my user password as i cannot remember the original password.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements