× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BETA Samba v3.5.8 addon for SPARC processor devices

airwofl
Aspirant

BETA Samba v3.5.8 addon for SPARC processor devices

All,

I have completed the Samba 3.5.8 addon for ReadyNAS SPARC devices. I have it successfully installed and running on my NV+ for 2 days now without issue, but have not managed to complete a whole slew of tests (offline files, domain logons, domain additions / removals, small file transfer speed check, connectivity from OSX, etc...) - basic copying to/from, moving and large file transfers have been successful (all from Windows 7 hosts), along with installation and uninstallation tests.

If you are willing to test the running of 3.5.8 on your SPARC based ReadyNAS, you can download it at http://www.flumps.org/readynas/samba_3_ ... rc_1.0.bin

THIS IS BETA SO ONLY INSTALL IT ON DEVICES YOUR ARE COMFORTABLE TINKERING WITH.

P.
Message 1 of 7
InTheShires
Tutor

Once I have completed building and setting up a device as a backup server, I will have a look at this for you.

I need another backup device and I am currently trying to make use of the junk currently occupying space in my workshop. I'm aiming to be up and running in the next few days, so will post again when I have news.
Message 2 of 7
galorin
Aspirant

Looking at this with a keen interest. How would one revert to the old version of samba?
Message 3 of 7
matt_hargett
Tutor

any chance of updating this to 3.5.11? it fixes one of the incompatibilities introduced by a recent Win7 hotfix, amongst other things.

I'll try cross-compiling it myself, in the meantime. I'm hoping using the LTO optimization from GCC 4.6 will yield better performance and a smaller binary as it has with other code I've compiled it with.
Message 4 of 7
quickly_now
Apprentice

Just an FYI: I have built samba 3.6 for the x86 ReadyNAS and hope to start testing it soon.

If you want to use your readynas as a domain controller, and you want to avoid the issue of the smb.conf file being re-written by Frontview, then the only solution I know of is to put your additional configuration information in /etc/frontview/samba/addons/addons.conf. The trouble with this is, nmbd won't read that file.

You can patch samba (3.5.x or 3.6, the patch is the same) to overcome this trouble. I've logged this as a samba defect. Post back here if you want more details.
Message 5 of 7
airwofl
Aspirant

Yes please. Would be interested in the patch. Putting the changes into addons.conf is a good and sensible idea. Will do that!

P.
Message 6 of 7
n4k5
Aspirant

Hi. What's the progress on this? Samba 3.0.X is sooo slooow. Great idea guys. Awaiting!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements