× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Photo database are most using: Piwigo or Koken? Why?

NASguru
Apprentice

Which Photo database are most using: Piwigo or Koken? Why?

So I'm looking to migrate off Photos II and to either Piwigo or Koken.  I'm leaning towards Piwigo since I saw some older posts about Koken possibly going away.  Either way, I like to hear from others who have tried them both and why they decieded on one over the other.  I see both are listed in our apps store but it seems the versions may be a bit out of date?  Does anyone know if those packages come with the lastest SQL or PHP?  The information is lacking on the App store and most of the time the 'more info' link on the apps just takes you to a generic website.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Which Photo database are most using: Piwigo or Koken? Why?

Hi NASguru,

Given the current update with ReadyNAS, the app developers might still be working to update the apps as well. Lets wait for some feedback from other posters as well.

Regards,

Message 2 of 13
NASguru
Apprentice

@FramerV wrote:

Hi NASguru,

Given the current update with ReadyNAS, the app developers might still be working to update the apps as well. Lets wait for some feedback from other posters as well.

Regards,

What current update?  I may have missed the notice?  

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@NASguru wrote:

I think he is referring to OS 6.6.0 and its upgrade to Debian 8.

Message 4 of 13
NASguru
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@NASguru wrote:

I think he is referring to OS 6.6.0 and its upgrade to Debian 8.

Got it and a quick search turns this up:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Firmware-Release-Notes/ReadyNAS-OS-6-6-0-now-available/td-...

It's been about a month though so I would expect that any Apps listed in their App store are compatible?  Or is that not accurate based on this link: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/Community-app-compatibility-with-ReadyNAS-OS-6-6-...   

Either way, I would think others could verify it fairly easily by simply installing something from their App Store. 

Message 5 of 13
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NASguru,

Yes I am referring to the OS 6.6.0. App updates are done by the developers so if they have not updated it yet then there is a possibility that the app wont work with our ReadyNAS.

Regards,

Message 6 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

I have not tried Koken, but I thought I's share some problems I had with Piwigo.

If you want to use it mostly like Photos, it may not be an issue.  But I had problems using it with a dynamic IP.  In some cases, user registration and other emails contained my (at that time) IP address rather than my No-IP URL.  I had some conversations on their forum with another user and we worked out how to fix it, but it could only be done by editing some of their files.  Thus, the fix did not survive an update.

The group for which that web site was run no longer exists, so I have not kept up with whether these issues were addressed in an update or still exist.

Message 7 of 13
NASguru
Apprentice

@Sandshark wrote:

I have not tried Koken, but I thought I's share some problems I had with Piwigo.

If you want to use it mostly like Photos, it may not be an issue.  But I had problems using it with a dynamic IP.  In some cases, user registration and other emails contained my (at that time) IP address rather than my No-IP URL.  I had some conversations on their forum with another user and we worked out how to fix it, but it could only be done by editing some of their files.  Thus, the fix did not survive an update.

The group for which that web site was run no longer exists, so I have not kept up with whether these issues were addressed in an update or still exist.

Bummer and too bad you don't have a link to their forum on what files were actually edited.  I'm suspecting that any free or open source photo database is going to have limited support.  Per their website: http://piwigo.org/ a new release was done in July so there must be some support still there. 

Anyone try this simple photo database?  https://lychee.electerious.com/

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@NASguru wrote:

Bummer and too bad you don't have a link to their forum on what files were actually edited.

I was "Sandshark" there as well, so try a search.  See also PM from me.

Message 9 of 13
NASguru
Apprentice

@Sandshark wrote:

@NASguru wrote:

Bummer and too bad you don't have a link to their forum on what files were actually edited.

I was "Sandshark" there as well, so try a search.  See also PM from me.

Will do and I have replied to your PM.  Other than the DDNS issue, did you like Piwigo or moved onto something else?  Did you install it from the Readynas App store as the version there seems old?  I also use DDNS via NO IP so it will likely be an issue for me too if the fix was not carried through.  I found your post on their forum on the email link issue:  http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25791

It's sort of disappointing that you made that post over a year ago and that this may still be an issue.  

Message 10 of 13
NASguru
Apprentice

FYI, for anyone who is interested it appears Piwigo moved to GitHub for development of the App:  https://github.com/Piwigo/Piwigo  Although, they have kept their domain up and running as well which appears to be mostly for users needing to t-shoot the app via their forum.  

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

I was running it for a group and the group disbanded, so I had no use for it any longer.  I originally installed the App, then updated it from within Piwigo.  I had no issues with installing updates or add-ons directly.

Message 12 of 13
NASguru
Apprentice

@Sandshark wrote:

I was running it for a group and the group disbanded, so I had no use for it any longer.  I originally installed the App, then updated it from within Piwigo.  I had no issues with installing updates or add-ons directly.

That's good to know so it would seem if I get it up and running properly that I should be able to keep it going via their updates.  The ONLY issue I can forsee is future updates of the Readynas firmware unless a developer takes ownership of it and keeps it current.  I appreciate the feedback either way!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements