× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use an access point at a distance from the router?

HeavyPsy
Initiate

Can I use an access point at a distance from the router?

I apologize in advance for being pretty ignorant about networks.  I have moved into a house that has ethernet cabling installed, but not everywhere I need network access.  The router supplied by the ISP is in one room and cannot be moved because that is the only place it can connect to the ISP's incoming cable.  I am looking at access points (e.g., Netgear WAC104) but everything I read says the AP has to be plugged directly into the router.  What I want to do is plug the AP into a network port at the other end of the house and use it to provide WiFi to that part of the house (where there is only the one ethernet port).  I essentially want to extend the ISP router's WiFi signal to dead spots using the AP and router both connected to ethernet ports at opposite ends of the house.  Is that possible?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I use an access point at a distance from the router?

If the home has ethernet ran throughout the house and that ethernet is connected back to the router, then you can connect an access point to it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If the home has ethernet ran throughout the house and that ethernet is connected back to the router, then you can connect an access point to it. 

Message 2 of 3
HeavyPsy
Initiate

Thanks for your quick reply.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7