× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't update firmware from 1.0.1.62 to 1.0.1.70

robinhood2014
Follower

Can't update firmware from 1.0.1.62 to 1.0.1.70

My problem is twofold. My R6400's current firmware is version 1.0.1.62. When I attempt to update my router's firmware using Advanced > Administration > Router Update > Check for new version from the Internet, it searches for about a minute or so before returning, "No new firmware available." Yet, when I look at the support page for this same router, I see that Netgear has released a firmware version 1.0.1.70.

Well, being the technology genius that I am, I try updating the firmware manually. I download the zip file and extract a file called "R6400-V1.0.1.70_1.0.44.chk". I then try to upload the file directly to the router by using the "Locate and select the upgrade file on your hard disk" function, which is immediately below "Check for new version from the Internet." After giving the go-ahead to initiate a brief Internet connection interruption, I see that the router has started to update its firmware from the file I specified. This goes on for anywhere from a few seconds to about a minute or so, and then the browser switches to a page saying "The connection was reset."

So, MY question is... Is the router actively rejecting this firmware "update" as being bad -- i.e. if it proceeds with this update, the result would be a bricked router? And if THAT'S the case, then perhaps Netgear should pull that firmware off the site until it has been thoroughly repaired, as the last thing I want is to update the router with firmware purporting to be from Netgear and end up with a broken router.

However, if it's NOT the case, then maybe there's an alternative method of updating the router with which I am not familiar?

Either way, I'd appreciate any help the community can give me in this manner.

Thanks.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7