× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Daily reset NETGEAR R6100

Mimjee20
Follower

Daily reset NETGEAR R6100

Almost dailey R6100 modem reset, weak and slow, tablet and tv located in bedroom weak signal without router reset and then quits.

All of this used to work fine untill a change in modem. Might be just dumb luck timing.

Spectrum, my cable/internet provider installed a new cable tv MODEM unit which has been checked out and test ok by them, they also said the R6100 was plent fast for my needs.

2.4 has the stronger signal when it is reset. 

Any ideas, I would love the help. Thank You, Kelly.

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Daily reset NETGEAR R6100

@Mimjee20 wrote:

Spectrum, my cable/internet provider installed a new cable tv MODEM unit which has been checked out and test ok by them, they also said the R6100 was plent fast for my needs.

What is that new modem?

ISPs increasingly supply modem/routers rather than plain old modems. This means that you can end up with routers in a network. In your case, the R6100 after whatever Spectrum threw at you.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

It can also explain the behaviour you see. Some time during the day, the two routers decide to have a fight and you end up as a victim.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

they also said the R6100 was plent fast for my needs.

How fast is your Internet connection? If it is faster than 100 Mbps, then your R6100 is not fast enough to make  use of it. According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASEfull-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer Internet services and most modern network hardware.

If your Internet isn't that fast, and the real  of the R6100benefit is that it has better wifi, then putting it into wireless access point (AP) mode might be worth trying.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

The manual explains how to get it into AP mode.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7