× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download is slower than Upload

AndyPitt
Tutor

Download is slower than Upload

I'm using a NetGear WNDR4500v3 router Firmware Version V1.0.0.58 (I think this is the latest). My ISP gives me 100 X 100 mps service. Lately when using wireless 5G or 2.4 G I checked the speed using either one of my WIN 10 laptops it was 5 mps on download and 25 mps on upload. It had been delivering almost 95 X 95. I plugged the ethernet cable which was plugged into the router and got approximately 95 X 95 so I know its not the ISP. Interesting my Samsung S7 smartphone delivers 45 x 25 but I'm using a VPN on it so I expected it to be slower. I also ran an old Samsung tablet on the 5G and got satisfactory results. I've read thru some of the possible solutions and tried several and nothing seems to work. Very perplexed about this. Any help would be appreciated.

Model: WNDR4500v3|N900 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
AndyPitt
Tutor

Re: Download is slower than Upload

I wanted to update that I have resloved this issue. Even though it was not a Netgear router issue, I thought other users in the community could benefit. I have a Dell Inspiron 5559. By process of elimination, I concluded that the problem was with my machine not the router. I then searched the Dell support site and identified that a diagnostics program called Smartbytes could cause this issue. Note this program is not updated automatically thru any Dell updates. I updated it and my download speed increased to the level expected. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

I have returned a WNR3500Lv2 that has slow down throughput. I have an R6020 doing the same. It will go home soon. Based on these two units it seems like there should be a common issue.

Try changing wireless channels. A neighbor could be causing interference. Try wired v. wireless. Swap cables. Do a factory reset. If you still have warranty, open a ticket with Netgear and be persistent even if beyond 90 days. We shouldn't be paying for support on hardware issues. Good luck.

Message 2 of 5
AndyPitt
Tutor

Will bw checking into the waranty situation. I already changed channels and no luck, also did a factory reset with the same result. Must be a firmware isue. The unit is in my second home and was up while I was gone for 6 months.  When I left it was functioning fine, Returned and much slower download speeds.  Thanks for letting me know.

Model: WNR1000v3|Wireless Router
Message 3 of 5
AndyPitt
Tutor

Just an update I have tried many fixes that were in post in the community. Still the same problem. Any android device has correct download and upload speeds. Only laptop computers have significantly wireless lower download speeds.

Interesting I have tried to roll back to  prevous firmware version and unit refuses to do this. Any further ideas on this topic before I through this in the junk pile and get a better router.

Message 4 of 5
AndyPitt
Tutor

I wanted to update that I have resloved this issue. Even though it was not a Netgear router issue, I thought other users in the community could benefit. I have a Dell Inspiron 5559. By process of elimination, I concluded that the problem was with my machine not the router. I then searched the Dell support site and identified that a diagnostics program called Smartbytes could cause this issue. Note this program is not updated automatically thru any Dell updates. I updated it and my download speed increased to the level expected. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7