× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Connection not detected

aj2015
Tutor

Ethernet Connection not detected

I have this strange situation with my connection.  I had an Arris Modem and R6250 was hooked up with that. During a thunderstorm, I saw that there was no power on my router. Sure enough, the AC adapter was dead. I tried hooking up my modem to my laptop via hard wire and no internet connection. So I bought a new modem and power supply for the router. After configuring the modem I was able to get the internet connection on my laptop via hard wire but router kept saying no ethernet connection. I am assuming that the power surge killed the Ethernet ports both on my modem and router? But the strange issue is that I had another (very old) router laying around and that also gave the same error when hooked up to the new modem. 

I bought a new router (R6400) and that does work. I just wanted to make sure that the R6250 can not be fixed before I throw it away. Any ideas how to approach this? 

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Ethernet Connection not detected

Hi @aj2015,

If the Internet LED is not lighting up (amber - given that one end of the Ethernet cable is connected to the WAN port), which it should if it is working, then that means that the port is no longer working.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @aj2015,

You can try performing a loop back test to check if the ports are working. Check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28408

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @aj2015,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 5
aj2015
Tutor

I tried the loopback test. There are no dedicated LAN LEDs on R6250. The lights below the individual ports (which usually light up when a cable is connected ) did not turn on. Lights for power and wifi on the front are the only ones which are on. 

Message 4 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @aj2015,

If the Internet LED is not lighting up (amber - given that one end of the Ethernet cable is connected to the WAN port), which it should if it is working, then that means that the port is no longer working.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7