× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108PEv3 How to use PoE

KE8DAC
Aspirant

GS108PEv3 How to use PoE

I baught the GS108PEv3  to run a POE  device.  I can not find out to turn on or off the POE of ports 1 - 4.  I can plug the other device into one of PoE ports but no lights  no nothing.  How can I use my PoE ports?

Bret

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 7
KE8DAC
Aspirant

Re: GS108PEv3 How to use PoE

Can anyone Help?

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Hello Bret,

@KE8DAC wrote:

I baught the GS108PEv3  to run a POE  device.

Ensure the switch does operate on the current firmware -> GS108PEv Firmware and Software Downloads - do a factory reset in case.

Define "PoE device" - make, model, firmware, link to product, link to documentation, data sheet, ...

The GS108PEv3 does support IEEE 802.3af (== IEEE 802.3at Type 1) devices only. The max PoE budget is 53W, this allows at least three ports to guarantee the 15.4W Class 0 or Class 3 device.

Only IEEE 802.3af (IEEE 802.3at Type 1) "PoE", IEEE 802.3at Type 2 "PoE+", IEEE 802.3bt Type 3 "4PPoE"/"PoE++", and IEEE 802.3bt Type 4 "4PPoE"/"PoE++" are considered PoE standards. Plenty of other device makers still designing and offering products for what is commonly nicked "passive PoE" on various voltage. 

@KE8DAC wrote:

I can not find out to turn on or off the POE of ports 1 - 4. 

To my knowledge, the Smart Managed Plus models don't have controls for port enable/disable or PoE enable/disable.

@KE8DAC wrote:

I can plug the other device into one of PoE ports but no lights  no nothing. 

Random (non-PoE) Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, or Gigabit Ethernet devices (for example a LAN port on your router) should be able to establish a link on the PoE ports (Left Speed & Activity port LED) as well as on the non-PoE ports (Right Status Port LED) as per the NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 4-Port PoE GS108PEv3 Installation Gui... .

If this does not work e.g on the PoE ports, something is wrong with your switch..

@KE8DAC wrote:

How can I use my PoE ports?

Permitting the powered devices (PD) are IEEE PoE standards complaint, and the PDs don't require higher standards not supported by the GS108Ev3 it's just plug and play.

Message 3 of 7
KE8DAC
Aspirant

I have firmware vers 2.06.14.

Tring to get power to:  Aredn PowerBeam M2.  Says it is 7w. When I plug it to port #1 nothing, no lights.

https://store.ui.com/collections/wireless/products/powerbeam-m5-400

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Ubiquity is a typical vendor with a wild mix of at least five different "PoE" versions and voltages, with some trend to IEEE.

airMAX PowerBeamM 5 GHz, 400 mm Bridge shows on the linked specs:

Power Supply24V, 0.5A Gigabit PoE Adapter (Included)
Power MethodPassive PoE (Pairs 4, 5+; 7, 8 Return)

That's certainly not IEEE standad PoE I'm afriad.

No other choice but using the supplied power injector.

Message 5 of 7
KE8DAC
Aspirant

OK, Thank you for the answer!  That helps me..

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Glad it helped. HAMs can deal with such information. Happy DX!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7