× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet speeds dropping to ~1Mps

Sleipnir989
Aspirant

Internet speeds dropping to ~1Mps

Been having an issue the past few days with my connection speeds. Everything is running like garbage on download speeds, upload for whatever reason is normal. I only have one Windows PC, a Linux server with next to no off network traffic, a couple of phones and a amazon fire connected regularly, all have been experiencing the effects. I contacted my ISP to confirm my plan hadn't changed, they had me troubleshoot a few things, hooking my computer directly into the wall port (shared apartment modem) and it had normal speeds. If I reboot the router, normal speeds for about 10 seconds, then they tank. 

Last night I did a full reset, speeds were normal for an hour or so then they dropped again. I've tried using the R6300v2 and my old R6200v2, both are experiencing the same issues. Running firmware version V1.0.4.34_10.0.92. Tried installing an older version, didn't help at all. I have verified no unknown devices are connected to the wifi, changed the info and only connected my computer back up as well to ensure it was the only thing connected. Still having this issue. Not sure if it's important but I do have a public IP address provided by my ISP to get around the shared apartment modem causing a double nat issue preventing my server to be accessed off network. Concerned about possible security issues the server has been left off network for the past couple days. Checked all security logs and found nothing unusual.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Sleipnir989
Aspirant

Re: Internet speeds dropping to ~1Mps - Update

Update on the situation.

I installed a third party firmware, dd-wrt to be specific, and speeds are back to normal. The process was overall very simple and easy to complete with their installation guide. The average user who knows their way around a router settings page should have no problems with a task like this.

Pre third-party firmware:

During peak hours speeds would be unstable, fluxuating between 30% and 40% of my purchased plan. Dropping to 20% - 25% if I had multiple devices running something like a streaming service.

Durring low traffic hours speeds were more commonly, but not always, stable typically just below or up to 10% above my purchased plan. Number of devices on network didn't cause a noteable difference. 

Post third-party firmware:

During peak hours speeds are about 60% of my purchased plan but raised to normal a good hour earlier. It is a very crowded apartment with an extremely sub par network setup, controlled by an office that could not care less, so those results are actually very good. Number of devices did not greatly effect speeds unless until I was streaming netflix on every device we own and downloading a game on Steam. You know, for science.

During low traffic hours I'm getting speeds 25% higher than my purchased plan on average, a couple times 50% higher even. Number of devices did not effect speed despite some pretty serious effort, but not too serious. It was late and I was tired, takeaway was network is much more stable and I went to bed.

As I mentioned in the original post, I don't have that many devices on my network so at high usage, it's still not really all that much. 

Link to DD-WRT Router Database:

https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ - Check your router compatability here and download necessary files.

Installation instructions also available on page. My firmware was already activated, if yours is not they do offer one free activation for personal use.

Recommended to use a browser other than Google Chrome when flashing firmware and/or upgrading. When using chrome the upgrade would consistantly fail and take 3-5 minutes. Using Firefox the upgrade was successful and took 20 seconds. A few posts I read said Internet Explorer worked as well. Nothing about Edge but Edge is just the new browser to download another browser right?

Hopefully this info can be useful for anyone else experiencing this issue and help in providing some options on a possible resolution.

**Screenshot provided does not include results done on wifi connected devices or normal speeds prior to firmware install. Ethernet connected desktop and normal speeds with third party firmware only.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Sleipnir989
Aspirant

Re: Internet speeds dropping to ~1Mps - Update

Update on the situation.

I installed a third party firmware, dd-wrt to be specific, and speeds are back to normal. The process was overall very simple and easy to complete with their installation guide. The average user who knows their way around a router settings page should have no problems with a task like this.

Pre third-party firmware:

During peak hours speeds would be unstable, fluxuating between 30% and 40% of my purchased plan. Dropping to 20% - 25% if I had multiple devices running something like a streaming service.

Durring low traffic hours speeds were more commonly, but not always, stable typically just below or up to 10% above my purchased plan. Number of devices on network didn't cause a noteable difference. 

Post third-party firmware:

During peak hours speeds are about 60% of my purchased plan but raised to normal a good hour earlier. It is a very crowded apartment with an extremely sub par network setup, controlled by an office that could not care less, so those results are actually very good. Number of devices did not greatly effect speeds unless until I was streaming netflix on every device we own and downloading a game on Steam. You know, for science.

During low traffic hours I'm getting speeds 25% higher than my purchased plan on average, a couple times 50% higher even. Number of devices did not effect speed despite some pretty serious effort, but not too serious. It was late and I was tired, takeaway was network is much more stable and I went to bed.

As I mentioned in the original post, I don't have that many devices on my network so at high usage, it's still not really all that much. 

Link to DD-WRT Router Database:

https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ - Check your router compatability here and download necessary files.

Installation instructions also available on page. My firmware was already activated, if yours is not they do offer one free activation for personal use.

Recommended to use a browser other than Google Chrome when flashing firmware and/or upgrading. When using chrome the upgrade would consistantly fail and take 3-5 minutes. Using Firefox the upgrade was successful and took 20 seconds. A few posts I read said Internet Explorer worked as well. Nothing about Edge but Edge is just the new browser to download another browser right?

Hopefully this info can be useful for anyone else experiencing this issue and help in providing some options on a possible resolution.

**Screenshot provided does not include results done on wifi connected devices or normal speeds prior to firmware install. Ethernet connected desktop and normal speeds with third party firmware only.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series