× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues connecting to work VPN

danielgaz
Aspirant

Issues connecting to work VPN

Over the past few weeks, I am experiencing a high frequency of dropped connections when using my employer's VPN (BIG-IP Edge Client). I have the current firmware (as of last week - 2.6.7.0) and when I am not on my employer's VPN, my connection is fine. I've talked to Spectrum and to the folks at IT where I work. It seems like the router could be the issue, but of course it's past the technical support warranty. I bought it last December and it's worked fine. Are there any other troubleshooting mechanisms before I purchase a new one? One of the tech support folks said that it could have fried from power surges, but why would it work for one method of connecting versus another? It's literally just the VPN for work!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Issues connecting to work VPN

A vpn encrypts and directs all the traffic using the vpn through its own server. 

If everything else works but the vpn traffic, its an issue of the vpn. 

If it was a simple port issue, the vpn wouldn't work at all. 

If it was from "power surges" it would impact all traffic. 

Message 2 of 7
danielgaz
Aspirant

I have spent close to 20 hours on the phone with our IT folks and they insist that it's not the VPN. It could be the service provider or the router. I don't know what else to do at this point.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can always try a different router. 

Again, if its ONLY the vpn with issues, that's what I'd be suspecting. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/133680/htg-explains-what-is-a-vpn/

What speeds do you pay for upload and download? When using a vpn, the upload is just as important as the download. 

Message 4 of 7
danielgaz
Aspirant

I pay for (and get) 120-ish up and 10-15 down. When on the VPN it varies wildly.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@danielgaz wrote:

I pay for (and get) 120-ish up and 10-15 down. When on the VPN it varies wildly.

When not on the vpn, you get the speeds, performance you should? 

Again, when going through a vpn, its the bottleneck. Its why you have variable performance when on vpn. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7