× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6400v2 - unable to play content from HDD (USB 3.0) on Samsung TV

TidO8
Aspirant

Netgear R6400v2 - unable to play content from HDD (USB 3.0) on Samsung TV

Hello,

I have connected Samsung 2,5" HDD to Netgear R6400v2 and created a network folder. Everything works OK from any PC in the network. But when I try to play anything from the HDD on Samsung TV (3 different pieces), I get an error "Check network connection". All TVs are connected wireless. I have tried to connect one of them using TCP cable, but the same error.
One thing is really strange. When I try to play a movie from HDD (size 500 MB+) it shows the error within seconds without even starting to play the movie. But when I try to play a movie that is approximately 150 MB, it plays for cca 5-8 seconds and after this period it shows the exact same error.
I think that everything that should be enabled, is enabled (DLNA, UPnP etc.)

Netgear R6400v2 firmware V1.0.4.84_10.0.58. All firmwares are up to date.

I have tried to downgrade firmware, perform a factory reset. No progress at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TidO8
Aspirant

Re: Netgear R6400v2 - unable to play content from HDD (USB 3.0) on Samsung TV

I made few tests to find out what is causing the problem and this is my opinion.

If I delete file in \\readyshare\.ReadyDLNA\files.db and let router to create it, the error "Check network connection" pop ups for all media files.

If I let PLEX to create the file, everything works OK (few formats are not supported, but that is normal I think).

If anything changes on HDD, router is able to update the file and new media files can be played without any problems.

And also ARMOR cannot be included in firmware. If it is included in firmware it doesn't matter if it is enabled or not, streaming anything is not possible with the same error "Check network connection".

Thank you so much for your help 🙂 I really appreciate that.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I'm a little surprised. On most the routers that netgear rolled out Armor to, the dlna and some other features were removed. This is the first router where I've seen Armor rolled out and those features not removed. I'm wondering if running both dlna and having armor on there is causing the issue. I'd try going back on the firmware to the firmware without armor. Try rolling back to version 1.0.3.66 and see if it fixes it. 

Message 2 of 7
TidO8
Aspirant

Hi, thank you for your reply. Anyway I have disabled the Armor on router. Tried to downgrade to R6400v2-V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 and performed a factory reset. No progress unfortunately.

Should I try even older firmware e.g. R6400v2-V1.0.2.66_10.0.48?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@TidO8 wrote:

Hi, thank you for your reply. Anyway I have disabled the Armor on router. Tried to downgrade to R6400v2-V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 and performed a factory reset. No progress unfortunately.

Should I try even older firmware e.g. R6400v2-V1.0.2.66_10.0.48?

You can try but I'd be looking at the samsung tv's themselves. Many smart tv's need video files in a certain format because they don't transcode. 

Easy check? install plex or emby (free version) to one of your pc's. it'll transcode for the TV's to the proper format. If it streams properly, its a transcode issue with the tv's. If it doesn't, then it could be a router/signal issue.  

Message 4 of 7
TidO8
Aspirant

Sorry for longer time to reply but I was "playing" with PLEX.

Anyway, current situation:
- I have installed PLEX on my PC

- I have installed PLEX on one of the TVs

- created movies library on the ext HDD that is connected to router using USB 3.0

- waited for the DB file (...\.ReadyDLNA\files.db) to be generated and now everything works OK even without using the PLEX

So my guess is that the "files.db" file located on HDD connected to router that was generated by router is not OK and therefore the movies cannot be played.

Right now some of the movies on HDD cannot be played BUT due to unsupported file format. No more error "Check network connection". Correct me if I'm wrong.

So it looks to me that I have to use PLEX everytime, when the library changes.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@TidO8 wrote:

Sorry for longer time to reply but I was "playing" with PLEX.

Anyway, current situation:
- I have installed PLEX on my PC

- I have installed PLEX on one of the TVs

- created movies library on the ext HDD that is connected to router using USB 3.0

- waited for the DB file (...\.ReadyDLNA\files.db) to be generated and now everything works OK even without using the PLEX

So my guess is that the "files.db" file located on HDD connected to router that was generated by router is not OK and therefore the movies cannot be played.

Right now some of the movies on HDD cannot be played BUT due to unsupported file format. No more error "Check network connection". Correct me if I'm wrong.

So it looks to me that I have to use PLEX everytime, when the library changes.

I couldn't tell you precisly if that's whats going on. I haven't used the router dlna server for many years. I made the jump to emby/plex and found it served my needs much better. Tends to be a lot more versitile. 

Message 6 of 7
TidO8
Aspirant

I made few tests to find out what is causing the problem and this is my opinion.

If I delete file in \\readyshare\.ReadyDLNA\files.db and let router to create it, the error "Check network connection" pop ups for all media files.

If I let PLEX to create the file, everything works OK (few formats are not supported, but that is normal I think).

If anything changes on HDD, router is able to update the file and new media files can be played without any problems.

And also ARMOR cannot be included in firmware. If it is included in firmware it doesn't matter if it is enabled or not, streaming anything is not possible with the same error "Check network connection".

Thank you so much for your help 🙂 I really appreciate that.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7