× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet connection with new AC1750 R6400 router

eickmewg
Tutor

No internet connection with new AC1750 R6400 router

We just got  a Netgear CM500 modem and AC1750 R6400 WFi router.  The Comcast activationof the modem was successul, but when I then hooked the router to the modem and the computer to the router via ethernet cable, the router can't find the internet and the Internet light flashes amber. All the other status lights show a  solid white.  Does Comcast have to do some sort of activation or is there some other issue?  The laptop computer does recognize a WiFi connection for the router but of course, it can't be used to get on the internet.  I called a support number and got the big pay us money to fix your problem.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: No internet connection with new AC1750 R6400 router

Yes, those connections are correct.  From your computer, enter routerlogin.net into a browser.  This should automatically connect you to the router.  You will need to enter the username and password for the router.  The defaults are admin and password, respectively.  You should change the password.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Unplug the modem for 5 minutes.  Then plug it back in.  Then it should detect the router.  Make sure the router is set up to get its IP address automatically on its Internet port.

Message 2 of 10
eickmewg
Tutor

So, how would I coonfigure the router to automatically get an IP address if I can't get and internet connection?  I expect that this is the basic problem. With the router hooked between the modem and the computer, what procedure might I be able to use to do this?  We have tried resetting the modem but that didn't seem to solve the problem.  Many thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 10
CROW
Aspirant

Im having the same problem with my AC1750....

Message 4 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@eickmewg wrote:

So, how would I coonfigure the router to automatically get an IP address if I can't get and internet connection?  I expect that this is the basic problem. With the router hooked between the modem and the computer, what procedure might I be able to use to do this?  We have tried resetting the modem but that didn't seem to solve the problem.  Many thanks for your help.

Log into your R6400 and go to the Internet page.  Make sure Get Dynamically from ISP is selected under Internet IP address.  That should set up the router to obtain an IP address from the modem.  The IP address will be displayed on that page.  If it's all zeroes, then the modem isn't providing an IP address to the router.

In this case, what you may have to do is clone your computer's MAC address to the router's WAN interface.  As above, go to the Internet page on the router, scroll to the bottom section where it says Router MAC Address.  If you happened to log into the router with the same computer that was able to directly access the Internet, then select Use Computer MAC Address.  The router should automatically enter your computer's MAC address.  Otherwise, select Use This MAC Address and manually enter your computer's MAC address.  Click Apply to save the changes.  Then, you may have to reboot both the router and modem.  The modem should now believe your router is your computer and should hand out an IP address.  Confirm by looking at the Internet page on the router.

Message 5 of 10
eickmewg
Tutor

So, I think I can followthose instructions, BUT exactly how do I log into the R6400 router?  I would assume that the router is connected to the modem via ethernet cable and the computer is attached to one of the lan ports via ethernet cable.  Where do I go from there?  Thanks again.  Perhaps we are making some headway with  this problem.  Bill

Message 6 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Yes, those connections are correct.  From your computer, enter routerlogin.net into a browser.  This should automatically connect you to the router.  You will need to enter the username and password for the router.  The defaults are admin and password, respectively.  You should change the password.

Message 7 of 10
eickmewg
Tutor

Success!  Up and running.  WiFi download speeds equal ethernet-connected download speeds.  I was ready to send the router back to Amazon but now it will stay.  Thanks for the help.

Bill

Message 8 of 10
Dmonahan01
Aspirant

I have tried this but it did not work. Any other suggestions?
Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@Dmonahan01 wrote:
I have tried this but it did not work. Any other suggestions?

You should start your own thread.  Describe your setup, exactly what you tried and what you observed.  It's not possible for us to help without this information.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7