× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power Outage, now no LAN...no Hard Wired Connections "Ethernet" doesn't have Valid IP Configuration

markdorsey
Aspirant

Power Outage, now no LAN...no Hard Wired Connections "Ethernet" doesn't have Valid IP Configuration

I had a power outage about 6 months ago, and was able to muddle my way through a reset, and was going along just fine with my wifi and hard wired connections. But, a couple of power 'blips' a week or so back, and I simply cannot get my LAN connections to work.

I have an Arris SB6190 Modem (only) and an Orbi RBR50v2 (plus Satelite) and my D-Link 16 Port Switch. This all worked, perfectly, up until the recent storms, and a couple of quick 1-2 second power 'blips'.

I can hard wire connect my computer to the moden, and the Ehternet Connection is just fine. I have tried multiple Ethernet Cables to connect my SurfBoard to my Orbi, but nothing allows a hard wired connection using cable from wall>modem>ethernet cable>Orbi. None of the ethernet connections directly from the Orbi to devices, or the ethernet connections via the switch, hardlined to the Orbi.

Maddening, to say the least. I have reset, rebooted, numerous times. I have scoured the internet, and no troubleshooting techniques have helped. This is ironic, as this was how I was able to get the thing to work months back! I am all ears...will offer I am not highly technical, but have a crude understanding of what is supposed to take place with all items used. As said...it worked...for months....and now, doesnt.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Power Outage, now no LAN...no Hard Wired Connections "Ethernet" doesn't have Valid IP

1. what firmware is on the orbi? 

2. are you able to access the orbi's gui at all? 

3. Something to try. 

First factory reset both the modem and the router. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on. Then power off the orbi and the surfboard. disconnect everything from both (even coax from modem). Wait 2-4 minutes. connect coax back to the surfboard and then turn it on. give it 2 minutes to fully boot. Then connect wan port from router to lan port on modem. Power the router on and wait 2-4 minutes for it to boot fully. Does it work? Where does it fail in the process?

Message 2 of 12

Re: Power Outage, now no LAN...no Hard Wired Connections "Ethernet" doesn't have Valid IP

@markdorsey wrote:

This all worked, perfectly, up until the recent storms, and a couple of quick 1-2 second power 'blips'.

@plemans has offered you some things to try. I chip in merely to warn that storms are very good at frying electronic gubbins. The bad news may be that your storms broke something permanently. I would test every single items on its own to confirm that it still works as a standalone device before joining it all up into a network. Check that any helpful LEDs are as they should be.

Message 3 of 12
markdorsey
Aspirant

Orbi Firmware Version V2.7.2.104

I am able to acces GUI, and all looks good. Internet is Stated as Good. I have factory rest all, unplugged, left so for around 5 minutes. Coax into Modem, first, then power to modem...LED's all reset. I then plugged the ethernet from Modem to Router (Orbi). I went through the set up, then plugged in the ethernet cables that are hardwaired to the Orbi (including the switch). I then plugged in the ethernet to my PC, plugged in the power. Booted up...and no change. Still no valid IP config.

Message 4 of 12
markdorsey
Aspirant

That I can tell, all LED's are as has been for months, now. As stated, and is infuriating...this exact scenario plays out when storms blow through, and the power flickers. It happened months back, with this exact set up, and I was able to do what was just prescribed (have doen so like 5 times, now) and no change.

Thank you all.

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

don't uses the switch. 

Just go modem--->orbi--->pc. 

Leave the other satellites and other devices out of it. 

Also, on the orbi, disable daylight savings time and the traffic monitor. 

Message 6 of 12

@markdorsey wrote:

Still no valid IP config.

Remind me, I'm a bit lost, where do you see that message?

Message 7 of 12
markdorsey
Aspirant

I have attempted to go from Orbi, to PC, no go. The only way I get LAN connection to PC is straight to Modem. I have yet to try modem/switch/PC. If I were to do so, and run the ORBI off the switch, would there be any loss of functionality, again, if it worked…compared to modem/Orbi/switch/PC and all other?
Message 8 of 12
markdorsey
Aspirant

I get the “Ethernet” unable to find valid IP when I diagnose the Ethernet connection.
Message 9 of 12

@markdorsey wrote:
... when I diagnose the Ethernet connection.

Is that in Windows? Running the network troubleshooter?

I am not trying to be obtuse here, but the devil is in the detail. It helps to have a detailed description of what is going on and not a simplified interpretation of the answers to the questions.

Message 10 of 12
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have yet to try modem/switch/PC. If I were to do so, and run
> the ORBI off the switch, would there be any loss of functionality, [...]

That would be asking for trouble.  Your ISP almost certainly expects
to be dealing with one device on your side of the modem: either a
computer or a router (WAN/Internet).  By itself, a switch should be
transparent enough to be harmless.  If you use a switch to connect
multiple client devices to the modem, then you can expect at most one of
those devices to work properly.

> I get the "Ethernet" unable to find valid IP when I diagnose the
> Ethernet connection.

The computer is not getting a response from a DHCP server.  Either
there's a comm problem with the router (where your DHCP server should
be), or there's a problem with the DHCP server (in the router).

If you manually configured that Ethernet interface in the computer
with static IP parameters (like, say, address = 192.168.1.129, subnet
mask = 255.255.255.0, gateway = 192.168.1.1), that would remove the DHCP
server from the picture.  Then you might be able to see if it can
communicate with the router at all.

> That I can tell, all LED's are as has been for months, now. [...]

I haven't seen them.  Much more valuable would be actual facts, such
as, say, "The port-status LED where the computer's Ethernet cable
connects to <some device> is good."

> [...] this exact scenario plays out when storms blow through, and the
> power flickers. [...]

Could be a hardware/design problem which makes the router (or some
other device) unusually susceptible to power glitches, but not knowing
which gizmo is the site of the problem makes it tough to do much.  Blame
assignment is Job One, I always say.  If removing a gizmo from the
picture removes the problem, them that's a clue.  Permuting the gizmos
is usually less informative, and can cause new problems.

Message 11 of 12

@markdorsey wrote:
I have yet to try modem/switch/PC. If I were to do so, and run the ORBI off the switch, would there be any loss of functionality, again,

The switch should be downstream of the router.

On its own, the switch is dumb. It is just somewhere for different wires to share the wire that connects them to the router, which handles the traffic in terms of saying what should go where.

Put a switch between the modem and the router and things plugged into the switch don't have anyone to tell them what they should talk to.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7