× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6100 - ReadyShare - Upload to HDD from remote location?

Trevonious
Aspirant

R6100 - ReadyShare - Upload to HDD from remote location?

Hello all,

I've hooked up an external hard drive, through USB, to my router.  I was hoping to use this drive for backups, but also want to be able to backup when I do not have access to the routers WiFi signal (from a remote location), but still connected to the same VPN network.  If I try to upload to the drive, while being connected to the wireless signal from the router, I am able to download and upload files.  When I try to upload remotely to the drive, via ftp://IP/shares/drive_name, I am only able to download files (says that the drive is read only).  I noticed that when I connect to the drive, while connected to the wireless signal, it connects via smb, rather than ftp; however, when I try to connect via smb remotely (smb://IP/shares/drive), it fails to connect.  I have fiddled with settings/connection types/partition formats for a long time, with no success, so I'm hoping to get some help.  Would anyone be able to tell me if this is possible, and/or how to accomplish it?

Thanks in advance, for any responses!

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R6100 - ReadyShare - Upload to HDD from remote location?

Hi @Trevonious,

If you are accessing it via a browser, it will be read only access. You may want to look into FTP clients and/or using Windows Explorer if applicable.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trevonious,

If you are accessing it via a browser, it will be read only access. You may want to look into FTP clients and/or using Windows Explorer if applicable.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trevonious,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 4
Trevonious
Aspirant

I haven't been able to solve my issue about uploading to the drive from a remote location (ie while connected to the network through a remote connection, such as VPN), but I fixed another issue about not being able to use the network drive for Mac TimeMachine backups.  I used the following link to fix the issue:

https://dillieodigital.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/how-to-get-netgear-readyshare-to-work-with-time-mach...

Basically, I had to format the partition that I wanted to use for the Mac TimeMachine backups as ExFAT or MS-DOS (FAT) and then follow the instructions from the link starting at the "Creating the Time Machine Image" section.  The only thing I did differently is I connected to the network folder using the following address:

cifs://readyshare/<NameOfNetworkFolder>

Not sure if it is necessary, but I also ran the following command, on the machine that I wanted to back up, which just allows TimeMachine to see unsupported Network Volumes:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

It's very possible, that running the above command is not necessary.

Although it is VERY slow, I am currently running the remote backup, successfully!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7