× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 as second router

KJ1231
Tutor

R6400 as second router

I have a Verizon FiOS router and the R6400. I have run Ethernet upstairs and want to connect R6400 to FiOS and use as wireless AP but want to see wired devices on the FiOS router.

The wired devices include Tablo for over-the-air TV and my cloud storage.

Tried a couple configurations and can't see the wired devices. Is there a link to step-by-step instructions specific to R6400 and NetGenie? I've found generic info but can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks!!!!!! Ken
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R6400 as second router

If by "see" you mean communicate with them, then yes.

If you use the AP mode setting, then FiOS LAN goes to R6400 WAN.  The onscreen instructions are pretty clear.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Log into the R6400, go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and enable AP Mode.  This is the easiest way to set it up.

You can also use the old school method of disabling the DHCP server but it requires a little more fidding with IP addressing.  If you have Gigabit Internet service, this will be faster, too.

Message 2 of 5
KJ1231
Tutor

THANKS! Will this allow me to see the devices connected to the FiOS router, the wired ones in particular?

And ethernet from from FiOS LAN port goes to R6400 LAN or WAN?

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

If by "see" you mean communicate with them, then yes.

If you use the AP mode setting, then FiOS LAN goes to R6400 WAN.  The onscreen instructions are pretty clear.

Message 4 of 5
KJ1231
Tutor

Not sure what I did the first time I set it up as an AP but it is working now and I can see all the attached devices. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7