× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using a WNR3500v2 as Access Point

purplemonkey
Aspirant

Using a WNR3500v2 as Access Point

hi I've got a WNR3500v2 and am trying to use it as a Access Point, but can't seem to work it out. When I configure WAN IP on the subnet of the main router I can't configure the local network as the same subnet, which I believe it needed for this operation to work correctly.

I've upgraded to the latest firmware but still dont see any options. anyone know?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
purplemonkey
Aspirant

Re: Using a WNR3500v2 as Access Point

hi, to be fair step8 reads as "Connect one end of an Ethernet cable to one of the WAN or LAN ports of your NETGEAR router (now configured as an AP), and the other end to a LAN port on your main router."  And the image shows the cable in the WAN port. 

The instructions also show a lot of screens and options my router doesn’t have, importantly the "enable AP mode" option, so I'm sorry to say it really didn't help.

The moving of the link cable from WAN to LAN port was an extremely important step for me as I couldn't configure the IP address on the router to the same subnet as the main router. so moving this cable from WAN to LAN took away this need and allowed it all to work. 

There are probably not a lot of people trying to do what I did but it would be helpful to have a guide setup specifically for this model.

Anyway thanks for your help, its certainly nice to have a response, as some manufactures forums are like ghost towns 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 2 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@purplemonkey You may also want to see this link. The steps provided will be the same for the model that you have.

Message 3 of 8
purplemonkey
Aspirant

hi, this was very similar steps to my own steps, but unfortunatly there isn't any config as an AP option. 

Message 4 of 8
purplemonkey
Aspirant

So I solved this by following the advice on  tomshardware the missing part of the picture was the plug the WAN connection into the LAN port on the AP. Its all working now.

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update @purplemonkey

That step was actually in the link provided (step8).

Anyhow, don't forget to mark the solution.

Have a great day!

Message 6 of 8
purplemonkey
Aspirant

hi, to be fair step8 reads as "Connect one end of an Ethernet cable to one of the WAN or LAN ports of your NETGEAR router (now configured as an AP), and the other end to a LAN port on your main router."  And the image shows the cable in the WAN port. 

The instructions also show a lot of screens and options my router doesn’t have, importantly the "enable AP mode" option, so I'm sorry to say it really didn't help.

The moving of the link cable from WAN to LAN port was an extremely important step for me as I couldn't configure the IP address on the router to the same subnet as the main router. so moving this cable from WAN to LAN took away this need and allowed it all to work. 

There are probably not a lot of people trying to do what I did but it would be helpful to have a guide setup specifically for this model.

Anyway thanks for your help, its certainly nice to have a response, as some manufactures forums are like ghost towns 🙂

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@purplemonkey We appreciate your feedback. I will forward that to our management team.

Thank you and have a great day!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7