× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700 access point becomes inaccessible after an hour

ngupta
Aspirant

WNDR3700 access point becomes inaccessible after an hour

I have Xfinity service and their XFi modem-Wifi-router. I provisioned an old WNDR3700 as access point to reach remote part of my house. It works fine for about an hour, but then becomes inaccessible for new connection. Devices already connected to it via its SSID continue to work fine. Following are the settings.

It has a reserved ip address.

DHCP serve Disabled

Main gateway=10.0.0.1 ipaddr of main router

DNIS = same as the main router.

Will appriciate any suggestions to fix the problem.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
ngupta
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 access point becomes inaccessible after an hour

Thanks for your input it was very helpful to me in resolving my issue.

The mistake I was making was configuring WNDR with only a cat5 connection between WNDR LAN port and my Mac, and NO connection between main router LAN port and WNDR WAN port.

I now configured the WNDR as WAP with both connections and static IP address. After configuration I disconnected the wired connection between LAN port and my Mac. The WNDR access point now works as desired.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
ngupta
Aspirant

How, exactly, did you do that? Does your WNDR3700[vX] have an
explicit Wireless Access Point mode option, or did you get creative, or
what?

--> WNDR3700 has explicit Wireless Access Point mode option.

The model number has no other letters after WNDR3700

What, exactly, did you connect to what, exactly?

--> Connected a LAN port of Main router with LAN port of WNDR3700 using cat 5 cable

Once provisioned as Access point, WNDR has its on SSID and password (I specify those in its wireless settings).

I connect a device (a computer) via Wifi using WNDR's SSID and password.

"it"? How, exactly, did you configure what, where?

--> Using the mac address of WNDR I could reserve the an IP address on the main router. I used this IP

address in WNDR's LAN settings

Message 2 of 3
ngupta
Aspirant

Thanks for your input it was very helpful to me in resolving my issue.

The mistake I was making was configuring WNDR with only a cat5 connection between WNDR LAN port and my Mac, and NO connection between main router LAN port and WNDR WAN port.

I now configured the WNDR as WAP with both connections and static IP address. After configuration I disconnected the wired connection between LAN port and my Mac. The WNDR access point now works as desired.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7