× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700 suddenly slower

rubble
Tutor

WNDR3700 suddenly slower

After many tears of good service to the far-flung corners of my house, my WNDR3700 has suddenly slowed to a crawl.  If I put a Wi-Fi computer right next to the router the signal is strong, but it drops off dramatically if I move even 1/4 of the normal operating distance (tested with Acrylic Wi-Fi Home).  Nothing has changed as far as settings are concerned.  I'm running Win 10; I'm not sure of the firmware, but neither settings nor enviroment have changed.  My office computer is connected to the WNDR3700 by ethernet and is OK, but a printer, two laptops, and a Roku streamer are affected.  All worked well until yesterday. Help!

Model: WNDR3700|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WNDR3700 suddenly slower

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON.

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

Might be time to look for an upgrade. The original was released in 2009 and was one of the first (ish) consumer gigabit devices. 

Its going on 13 years old and has been surpassed by several generations or wireless routers. 

If you even have half decent speeds from your isp, you'll see a significant improvement going from it to a current generation device. 

Can you try to fix it? Sure. 

Is it worth trying to fix? debatable. maybe if you're on a pretty slow dial up connection. Sure. I'm not a fan of getting rid of functional electronics but I'd be looking at upgrading. 

Message 3 of 12
rubble
Tutor

The firmware is V1.0.7.98NA.  The modem is a Arris (Optimum) TM822.  I believe that no factory reset has been done since the original installation.  Pulling the power on the moden didn't help.  Thanks.

Model: WNDR3700|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Last resort would be a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Message 5 of 12
rubble
Tutor

Thanks for your suggestions.  I think I have found the problem. There Is a hidden router channel that mimics the main channel and slows it down.  i was able to change the main channel on the router and it sped up dramatically.  However the hidden channel jumped to the new channel and the router once again slowed down.  the question is how I can rid the hidden channel from the router, or keep it from changing on its own?

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean about this hidden channel? 

Do you have a screen capture?

Do you have any repeaters or extenders running? 

Any wifi nieghbors near by? 

What happens if you change the SSID name and password to something different temporarily? 

Message 7 of 12
wcalifas
Prodigy

When you say hidden channel do you mean someone else's wifi on the same channel as your router? 

Message 8 of 12
rubble
Tutor

Many thanks to the community for your helpful suggestions.  I finally decided that after ten years of faithful service that it's time to retire my router and replace it with something that has the required signal strength/range.  I'm now looking into a variety of mesh units and expect to make a purchase soon.  Thanks again.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Probably a great plan. 

got a specific one in mind? 

What speeds do you pay for? 

How big is your home? 

Message 10 of 12
rubble
Tutor

I suscribe to Optimum's 200 service.  The house is approximately 2100 sq. ft.; it is older construction with a lot of walls; it's a ranch so the floor plan is spread out. I've been looking at the Reyee WiFi 6 Router. It's inexpensive at $119.99 with a $30 coupon on Amazon Prime. It got decent reviews for a simple mesh-able unit, and at that price worth futzing with.

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Never heard of Reyee but it gets pretty good reviews. 

Few downfalls because its uses lower spec components but for a 200mbps connection it shouldn't have an issue saturating it. 

If you're not looking at adding satellites, one thing you might consider is if you search amazon for "AX5700 renewed netgear", you'll come up with a RAX75 (doesn't say it on the product page). Its not much more and you can always buy a 3rd party warranty through amazon for cheap if you're worried about renewed (not always a bad idea with renewed). Pretty solid router (from my experience) and going to have a bit more performance/specs than the Reyee. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7