× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR2000v4 Wireless Router

sylviaH
Follower

WNR2000v4 Wireless Router

I have a netgear N300 Wireless Router WNR2000v4 and I am planning on buying an Amazon Fire Stick.  I have an HD TV using an antenna.  Will this netgear router be strong enough to pull other channels from the fire stick?  If I need to buy a new router for the fire stick to operate correctly, can you give me some idea of what I need to buy.  Thank you My e-mail address is sylmhogg@gmail.com

Message 1 of 2

Re: WNR2000v4 Wireless Router

@sylviaH wrote:

I have a netgear N300 Wireless Router WNR2000v4 and I am planning on buying an Amazon Fire Stick.  I have an HD TV using an antenna.  Will this netgear router be strong enough to pull other channels from the fire stick? 

Routers do not "pull" anything from the Firestick. It is the other way round. If you are using wifi to feed the Firestick, rather than a wired LAN adapter, the Firestick gets its wifi from the router.

The WNR2000v4 is a 10-year old router based on something first released in 2008. It has ancient specifications. But they should feed the Firestick.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. That also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

The wifi does not support 5 GHz wifi, although you won't need that with the Firestick.

If I need to buy a new router for the fire stick to operate correctly, can you give me some idea of what I need to buy. 

That depends on your Internet service and the modem/ONT/gateway or whatever sits between you and the Internet, not to mention your budget.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7