× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR2000v5 Netgear Genie does not have Repeater function

SureFoot
Aspirant

WNR2000v5 Netgear Genie does not have Repeater function

Viewing multiple instructions on how to set up wireless repeating, they say to go to Advanced in the Netgear Genie and select Wireless Repeating Function (which is between Wirelss Settings & Port Forwarding)  I don not have this selection, but I do have Wireless AP.

I tried to get my 2nd router (a Netgear WGR614v9) set up as an AP with a physical connection to the main router, but that did not seem to function (it looked like it was connected, but made no difference to the wireless signal).  I'd like to try to set it up as a wireless repeater instead...but without the option on the genie, how do I do that?

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: WNR2000v5 Netgear Genie does not have Repeater function

There are two types of Netgear routers: those that don't support wireless repeating and those that are support it poorly.  Don't waste your time.

The WGR614v9 is an old 802.11g router, so it will only support Wi-Fi speeds up to 54 Mbps and it won't have great range.  If this is ok with you, then you can set it up as an AP.  The trick is to do the following:

1. Disable its DHCP server
  2. Set its LAN IP address to an unused address in the subnet of the main router but outside of the range of addresses managed by the DHCP server
  3. Use a WGR614v9 LAN port to connect to the main router.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

There are two types of Netgear routers: those that don't support wireless repeating and those that are support it poorly.  Don't waste your time.

The WGR614v9 is an old 802.11g router, so it will only support Wi-Fi speeds up to 54 Mbps and it won't have great range.  If this is ok with you, then you can set it up as an AP.  The trick is to do the following:

1. Disable its DHCP server
  2. Set its LAN IP address to an unused address in the subnet of the main router but outside of the range of addresses managed by the DHCP server
  3. Use a WGR614v9 LAN port to connect to the main router.  
Message 2 of 3
SureFoot
Aspirant

Thanks for the tips.  I *think* that I had already done everything you suggested (it's possible I forgot to disable its DHCP but I'm tech-literate so I should have thought about that...it's been long enough since trying, though, that I don't recall specifically whether I did).  Perhaps the lower speed was the issue...if my devices could see both routers, perhaps it chose the faster of the two?  *shrug*

in any case, i guess I'll have to figure something else out--getting a better router or a dedicated repeater, or just live with it as it is.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7