× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi 2G and 5G simultaneously ?

Richard1953
Aspirant

Wifi 2G and 5G simultaneously ?

Unable to connect my ring doorbell to wifi- it works only 2G.  I upgraded my wifi to 5G and all else works. Is it possible to split the wifi connection (2G for doorbell only) ?  Only other option is purchase a newer doobell.  Any/all help appreciated.

Thanks

Richard  

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi 2G and 5G simultaneously ?

the C6300 is dual band. Meaning it has 2.4ghz AND 5ghz. Not one or the other. 

You might have named them the same. 

also, during setup, due to poor coding on rings part, you need to have your phone attached to the 2.4ghz during setup of the doorbell. 

Message 2 of 4
Richard1953
Aspirant

2 computers, an ipad, and tvs connect to my recently upgraded 5G.  Problem is RIng doorbell will not connect to wifi as it requires ONLY 2G.  Can anyone help or advise how I set up a different (account or name ?) so that Ring accesses the lower 2G.  Ring support refers me back to Netgear and as I have had router @6 months- no support.  I (possibly mistakenly) saw no reason for extended support after initial purschase and set up of router.  (Thank you also to the person who helped me at least start to understand this- I am a lay person with limited computer knowledge).   

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Ring doorbell doesn't require a router with ONLY 2.4ghz. 

I've setup numerous ones on dual band routers. 

Its just that you need to connect your phone/ipad/whatever you're using for setup to the 2.4ghz during setup. Once its setup, you can move the phone/ipad back to the 5ghz. 

If you're router is using the same ssid for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, simply name one different. then you can choose which band to connect to. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7