× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r6080 ac1000 wireless devices don't work after being disconnected

POturtle
Aspirant

r6080 ac1000 wireless devices don't work after being disconnected

first off my inernet is slow at 5mbps a good chunk of me assumes this router will not function properly with my slowness. anyways let's get to what is wrong. first, wired connections seem fine and i was even able to connect my phones and tv to it wirelessly though soon i turned wirless off for some while others were just turned off or kicked off and will now refuse to connect back. for devices like phones if i had the info saved it will attempt to connect again and again not making progress or possibly pop up saying ap mode not enabled or what ever internet is slow and then do nothing or just get caught in a loop of obtaining ip before the connection drops and trys again. on the phones i can fix this by making it be a static ip, something i found suggested on the internet for this issue but with devices that i can't do that they will just not work. looking at the attached devices it seems to not keep any of them on entirely removing them once they are no longer connected, even in advanced options, which i don't know if it is normal or not considering my lack of knowledge. the router is brand new and i've done various things like switching which part i was connecting to, turning off the guest or 5g, connecting to the 5g, updating firmware, litterally all i did before this started happening was changing it's ssid and putting a password on it. do i have to return this router and get a different one?

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
POturtle
Aspirant

Re: r6080 ac1000 wireless devices don't work after being disconnected

last update. i have found out that even the wired connections aren't safe and that what it seems to be doing is blocking all connections beyond the first so i can get it to do stuff if i disonnect one pc and then try to use another. since it seems to actively block anything beyond the first device that manages to use the internet i am assuming that it is indeed some kind of 'feature' of the router which makes it garbage for anyone with internet not 50mbps.

so my solution is simple, i will be returning the item, leaving my first and likely only review to vent, and never buying netgear again. i don't think my negative review or me avoiding netgear will do much of anything but maybe someone will see this or my review and not be put through desperate hours of trying to fix something they cannot and will just return it to get a different router. thanks for your attempt to help though.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

Forgive me for not being able to understand all of this long message. But can you clarify this bit?

@POturtle wrote:

the router is brand new and i've done various things like switching which part i was connecting to, turning off the guest or 5g, connecting to the 5g, updating firmware,

Does this mean that you updated the firmware after you got the R6080?

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware can fix problems but it sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Message 2 of 5
POturtle
Aspirant

unfourtunately this has not helped and i did make sure to hold the reset button until it powered off and did actually reset back to it's old info however unlike when i first got it i couldn't even connect once so perhaps the firmware has some odd option that is preventing me from connecting for some reason. searching the internet desperately i found mentions of something called QOS could this be my issue that it is just seeing my small amount of internet speed and entirely dedicating it to the wired connections while preventing wireless ones? it seems strange to me that i was able to connect once when new but now, even after factory restore, it is like it is actively preventing this unless on the device i am connecting with i can give it a static ip.

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
POturtle
Aspirant

for reference i found that i could download old firmware for my router here and rolled it back to what it came as and still doesn't work. though now if i try to connect to the 5g one it says authentication error though the normal one still says ap unvailable or just keeps disconencting and trying again and again.

Message 4 of 5
POturtle
Aspirant

last update. i have found out that even the wired connections aren't safe and that what it seems to be doing is blocking all connections beyond the first so i can get it to do stuff if i disonnect one pc and then try to use another. since it seems to actively block anything beyond the first device that manages to use the internet i am assuming that it is indeed some kind of 'feature' of the router which makes it garbage for anyone with internet not 50mbps.

so my solution is simple, i will be returning the item, leaving my first and likely only review to vent, and never buying netgear again. i don't think my negative review or me avoiding netgear will do much of anything but maybe someone will see this or my review and not be put through desperate hours of trying to fix something they cannot and will just return it to get a different router. thanks for your attempt to help though.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7