× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

same router, new isp and new modem now router not recognized

Jasumo
Tutor

same router, new isp and new modem now router not recognized

Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance!

I recently moved and changed isp (to Time Warner Cable) and had to buy a modem (Arris SB6141).  I have an internet connection with the modem by itself, but when I connect the router I have no internet connection.  I tried the Netgear genie and the message displayed is: "netgear router is not found or not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router and that no IPv6 is enabled."  I assumed I'd need to change the MAC ID since the modem has changed, but since the computer doesn't recognize the router (same computer) and I can't get an internet connection with the router, I can't change any of the settings.  Can anyone help, please?  Thank you!

Model: WNDR4500v3|N900 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Jasumo
Tutor

Re: same router, new isp and new modem now router not recognized

THANK YOU ALL!  It appears I hadn't reset the router when I thought I had and the cable was bad (I should have checked this first).  I'm all set.  My sincere appreciation for your generous help!  Jane

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Did you hard reset the router? Did you turn off the modem and router, wait for couple minutes. Turn on router, turn on modem. If you did not tried it.  try this first.

Message 2 of 10
Jasumo
Tutor

Thank you. Yes I tried all of those things before I posted (I should have said that). I've also tried using Netgear Genie to "fix" the network and it fails to do so.
Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Disconnect your router from everything except power.  If you aren't sure whether you have successfully performed a factory reset, then do it again.  This video shows the general procedure and works with most Netgear routers (link).

Once you have performed the reset, connect a single computer the router.  It's preferable to connect to one of the router's LAN ports, but you can connect to the router's default Wi-Fi network.  The default Wi-Fi SSID and password will be printed on a label attached to the router.  Do not connect the router to the new modem, yet.  Make sure your computer is set to obtain an IP address dynamically.  

Log into the router via 192.168.1.1 or http://routerlogin.net.  Proceed to set up the router as usual (e.g. Wi-Fi, admin password, etc.).  If your modem's address is 192.168.1.X, then you will either need to change the modem or router to use a different subnet.  For example, you can change your router to use 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0.  This is done in LAN Setup on the router.  Then, make adjustments to the router's Internet settings according to your ISP's instructions (e.g. if your ISP requires a login, then enter them).  Finally, connect the router to the modem.

Message 4 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

How do you obtain WAN IP address from your new ISP? same as before or it is different? Like dynamically obtaining or ISP gave you a fixed ip address you will use or do you need to log in? And again if you pug in your PC directly to the modem does it connect to the Internet?

Message 5 of 10
Jasumo
Tutor

Thank you.  I tried what you suggested and reset the router, connected the router directly to the computer and tried to log into the router per your directions, but get a message telling me to connect the modem and I can't bypass it. 

Message 6 of 10
Jasumo
Tutor

Thank you.  Yes, I have internet when I bypass the router and only have the modem connected to the computer.  I don't need to login or use a fixed ip address.  It is a cable connection and always "on".

Message 7 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

Well, how about trying different cable between modem nd router WAN port?  Again idsconnet every but one PC connected to the router.

Then issue a this 3 commands from PC   'ipconfig /rlease'     'ipconfig /renew'   'ipconfig /all'   Now what is gateway address and ipv4 address?Try to ping the gateway address which supposes to point to the router.  Use this command 'ping (gateway address) /t which will continously ping.

To stop it hit ctlr key and x key. Another ping you can run is ping localhost which will loopback test your NIC just to be sure.

If gateway address is 192.168.1.1    try to log into the router using this address. Even if it is not 192.168.1.1  try to log in using that address.

Here I'd think first thing we have to deal with is to be able to log into the router.

Message 8 of 10
Jasumo
Tutor

THANK YOU ALL!  It appears I hadn't reset the router when I thought I had and the cable was bad (I should have checked this first).  I'm all set.  My sincere appreciation for your generous help!  Jane

Message 9 of 10
Jasumo
Tutor

I should have added - I reconfigured the router per your specifications and now I'm all set.  🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7