× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

security questions for login

andres42
Follower

security questions for login

I'm trying to change my dns server due to constantly having to flush dns to be able to quickly connect to games/webpages. without doing this everything hitches and I have to refresh or hit connect a bunch of times when launching games. Apparently I didn't get the password correct too many times when logging into my router and now it's asking for security questions which I do not recall setting up and also the correct answers to said questions aren't working which makes me think the router is assuming I set this up? Am I screwed now and have to factory reset my router to be able to get into it? I have tons of devices/cameras/home security and that would be an all day task =( Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 2

Re: security questions for login

Which Netgear device is this? And what firmware version is it running?

@andres42 wrote:

Apparently I didn't get the password correct too many times when logging into my router and now it's asking for security questions which I do not recall setting up and also the correct answers to said questions aren't working which makes me think the router is assuming I set this up? Am I screwed now and have to factory reset my router to be able to get into it?

Probably screwed.

If you are trying to use the "password recovery" option, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I have tons of devices/cameras/home security and that would be an all day task =(

When you do get the thing set up to your liking, you may be able to disable password recovery, if your unknown router supports it. You should also create a backup of your configuration to preserve those valuable settings.

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7