× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

setting up an access point

KlsNet
Follower

setting up an access point

I would like to extend the Wi-fi range of my home's current Router (model R6400) by connecting it to a new Netgear Access Point device. (Rather than purchase a mesh system). The new Access Point would be connected to my Router by an ethernet cable. 

1) Is it possible to give the Access Point the same password as my current network and set it up so that someone moving around would have a seamless Wi-Fi connection? 

2) If so, are there instructions available on how best to set this uniform password up? 

3) Could someone recommend a suitable Netgear device that would only need serve as an Access Point?

Message 1 of 4

Re: setting up an access point

@KlsNet wrote:

I would like to extend the Wi-fi range of my home's current Router (model R6400) by connecting it to a new Netgear Access Point device. (Rather than purchase a mesh system). The new Access Point would be connected to my Router by an ethernet cable. 

1) Is it possible to give the Access Point the same password as my current network and set it up so that someone moving around would have a seamless Wi-Fi connection? 

Yes, but it may not be a good idea.

If you have two non-Mesh wifi sources, the idea of seamless roaming is iffy. Mesh requires router and satellites to communicate with one another. With two "standard" routers, your wifi devices have to negotiate the new connection. Having the same SSID and password could actually be slower than two separate networks.

What matters is how the mobile devices work rather than the wifi sources. Show them two wifi networks with the same credentials and they could get confused.

2) If so, are there instructions available on how best to set this uniform password up? 

Read the manuals for whatever device you buy.

3) Could someone recommend a suitable Netgear device that would only need serve as an Access Point?

Check the Netgear product pages:

WiFi Boosters & Extenders | Wifi Range Extenders | NETGEAR

Oops. That link seems to be bust. With luck it is temporary

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward has steered you in the correct direction. 

But I'd rethink buying just an access point. The R6400 was released in 2015. It's pushing a decade old, and adding money to it and making a sketchy mesh system might cause you more headache/stability issues than paying the extra for a mesh system. You can pick up used/renewed AC mesh systems pretty cheaply. It's not a whole lot more than buying an access point. I snagged an RBK53 system for a family member for around $40 on the local marketplace. I'm not saying you'll find something like that. This is just a thought because the router is the base for the system, and yours is old and just a step up from the base model devices. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I found some good deals on used Orbi systems on shopgoodwill dot com. 

I snagged a 850 series system last year for moderatly cheap for a buddy of mine in CA. Got it all up and running for him and shipped it off. He's been happy ever since. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series