× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wrn2000 v5 as router or as lan hub

xounet
Aspirant

wrn2000 v5 as router or as lan hub

Hello,

I want to setup my wrn2000 v5 router to extend my network. First i tried the bridge mode witch is very simple with wifi repeteater mode. But I have some lan connexions problem. Here is my configuraiton :

Internet+router->power lan line->WRN2000v5 as bridge (wan)

When I connect to WRN wifi or lan connexion it works few minutes, but after i can see that de pc can't connect ot internet and can't see other pc in the same LAN.

So I tried  this other connexion :

Internet+router->power lan line->WRN2000v5 as bridge (lan).

And the same result lan disconnection after minutes

I tried this other solution : WRN2000v5 as router :

Internet+router (1st workgroup)->power lan line->WRN2000v5 as router (wan)->other network(2nd workgroup)

It works better, I haven't disconnexion but i have 2 networks with 2 types of IP. The PC in the 2nd network can see others PC when I search IP in the explorer, but under windows 10 I can't see the PC in the 1rst workgroup when I look at the "LAN folder" of windows. And i can't connect to other PC with airplay connexion the software aren't able to find servers in the 1rst lan only in 2nd lan....

Can someone help me to find good parameters (route table or something else) to have a working LAN ?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
xounet
Aspirant

Re: wrn2000 v5 as router or as lan hub

Hello,

Since few days, and some reboots the router in AP mode seems to run well as desired. Maybe the problem came from the main modem-router (too many connexion...).

But i d like to solve the problem of airplay or dlna server device accessing when there are 2 routers in the lan network, what is the good configuration ?

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

@xounet wrote:

Internet+router->power lan line->WRN2000v5 as bridge (wan)

Not sure that I understand what a "power lan line" is, but if your WNR2000v5 (there is no WRN2000v5) is wired to the router then wireless access point mode is more appropriate.

Message 2 of 8
xounet
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my english.

Power lan line is a lan over electric network. WNR2000 is connected to the main router throw an "electric network". This connexion has no problem when WNR2000 is in router mode, but in access point or bridge mode, I loose connexion with the lan and WNR2000.

But the second problem is  that in router mode with WNR2000 I have 2 networks 192.168.1.xx and 192.168.2.xx. I can see or access pc of each network (by \\192.168.1.50 or \\192.168.2.10 for exemple), but I can't use airplay/dlna connexion from 1 network to the other network and windows 10 can only see the network of 1 router not both (with explorer). How can I configure the WNR2000 in order to acces all the networks normaly ? Or what is the problem with the acces point mode : LAN over electric network or the main router errors or sleeping mode with electric lan .... ?

Message 3 of 8

@xounet wrote:

Power lan line is a lan over electric network. WNR2000 is connected to the main router throw an "electric network".

That's powerline. I use it all the time.

It works fine with routers in access point  mode.

@xounet wrote:

But the second problem is  that in router mode with WNR2000 I have 2 networks 192.168.1.xx and 192.168.2.xx. I can see or access pc of each network (by \\192.168.1.50 or \\192.168.2.10 for exemple), but I can't use airplay/dlna connexion from 1 network to the other network and windows 10 can only see the network of 1 router not both (with explorer).

If the WNR2000 is in router mode, you can pretty well guarantee to have problems. That is why you have two networks.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

AP mode is designed to get around those problems.

What is the modem and the other router on your network?

Message 4 of 8
xounet
Aspirant

The first router is a modem/router given by the internet provider "SFR ADSL (LAN : 100 Mbit/s and WAN : 15 Mbit/s)" in France.

Yes I have other powerline (500 Mbit/s) network that work very well, i don't think this could be the problem directly.

I want to say that the powerline network has, thanks to the access point (WNR2000), between 2 and maybe 6 PC or ipad.

I can't setup the modem router as modem only.

Message 5 of 8

@xounet wrote:

The first router is a modem/router given by the internet provider "SFR ADSL (LAN : 100 Mbit/s and WAN : 15 Mbit/s)" in France.

If that is all you have in front of the WNR2000 that's fine. This means that the WNR2000 should be in AP mode. In router mode it will produce the chaos that you described.

It would be a good idea to check that it has the latest firmware:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061228/WNR2000v5-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-72

Put it into AP mode after the update, and then remember to use the yellow Internet port to connect it to the Powerline plug.

The manual explains how to do all this:

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Message 6 of 8
xounet
Aspirant

Thanks for your asnwer.

The firmware is the laste firmware from netgear and updated, as i said, i tried the AP mode with good connexion wan to powerline lan connexion but as i did say after 10 minutes or more, the WNR2000 is disconnected with de main router or LAN (only as AP but not as  router). In that case I must disconnect the main router, then rebootn and some times I reset the powerline and that works one more time, but note very long time. I tried lots of differents connexions, parameters, all... that's why i search a solution with router mode in my case.

Message 7 of 8
xounet
Aspirant

Hello,

Since few days, and some reboots the router in AP mode seems to run well as desired. Maybe the problem came from the main modem-router (too many connexion...).

But i d like to solve the problem of airplay or dlna server device accessing when there are 2 routers in the lan network, what is the good configuration ?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7