× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108PEv3 setup question - broadband modem -> switch -> wireless AP

watchheirmc
Aspirant

GS108PEv3 setup question - broadband modem -> switch -> wireless AP

Hi all, I purchased a GS108PEv3 with the plan to set it up in a broadband modem -> switch -> wireless AP configuration. The broadband modem is an Alcatel-Lucent i040g-p. (Not receiving a static ip from the ISP)

I tried playing with the ip settings and the DHCP enable/disable mode but couldn't get internet access working. The modem is connected to the switch and is visible in Prosafe utility, via a laptop connected to another port.. When trying to access it via the utility there is an error message though, saying that the switch and and the management ip are not in the same subnet.

Just wondering if this config is possible and if so what are the settings?

Appreciate your help.

Watchheirmc

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSAFE Gigabit Plus Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108PEv3 setup question - broadband modem -> switch -> wireless AP

@watchheirmc,

Is there a way to make the GS108PEv3 work as a router?

On the box it has a picture of it connected to a 'WAN' somehow.

It is not possible to make the GS108PEv3 switch work as a router. 

I tried playing with the ip settings and the DHCP enable/disable mode but couldn't get internet access working. The modem is connected to the switch and is visible in Prosafe utility, via a laptop connected to another port.. When trying to access it via the utility there is an error message though, saying that the switch and and the management ip are not in the same subnet.

The GS108PEv3 has a default IP address of 192.168.0.239.  You will need to change its default IP address to an IP address that is within the IP range of your LAN so that it will be accessible within your existing network.

Here are the steps below:

1. Disconnect the GS108PEv3 switch from your existing network.  Connect a PC to a LAN port of your GS108PEv3 switch.

2. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC.

3. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" and "password" as the username and password respectively without the quotation marks.

Note: The default IP address of GS108PEv3 is 192.168.0.239. 

4. The Switch Information page displays. In the DHCP Mode menu, select Disable.

5. Enter a static IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network in the field provided (for example: 10.0.0.9).  Also, enter the corresponding subnet mask and default gateway then click Apply.

Note: You will lose access to the web-GUI of the GS108PEv3 because you have just change its IP Address which is normal.

6. Connect a LAN port of the GS108PEv3 to your router.  

Note: Double-check if your Alcatel-Lucent i040g-p is a combination of modem and router.  If ever it is just a modem-only device, you will need to purchase router and deploy it between the Alcatel-Lucent i040g-p and the GS108PEv3 switch.  

7. Set your PC/laptop to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically."  Then connect it to a LAN port of the GS108PEv3. 

8. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type the static IP Address you have set to the GS108Ev3 then press Enter.  If you are able to access it, then it means that the GS108PEv3 is now a part of your existing network.

Note: You may also perform a connectivity test.  Open command prompt on your PC/laptop then ping the static IP address you have set to the GS108PEv3.  If you receive replies then it means that the GS108PEv3 is reachable within your existing network. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

I can't find any information about the Alcatel-Lucent. Is it a pure modem or a combination modem/router?

If it's a pure modem, then you need a router to go between it and the GS108PEv3. The GS108PEv3 is a switch, not a router.
Message 2 of 13
jonathan_l
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Watchheirmc,

I would suggest to connect a PC directly to Alcatel-Lucent i040g-p to check if internet is working. ISP might reserved some LAN ports on broadband modem for IPTV access only.

Regards,

Jonathan 

Message 3 of 13
watchheirmc
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I am not quite sure myself whether it is a modem or modem/router.

Message 4 of 13
watchheirmc
Aspirant

Thanks The internet and wifi does work, when the modem is connected directly to the wireless AP. 

Message 5 of 13
watchheirmc
Aspirant

Also how does the DHCP mode enable/disable function works? The manual just tell you to toggle it between 'browser access', 'Prosafe utility access', etc.

Thanks

Message 6 of 13
TheEther
Guru

@watchheirmc wrote:

No.  What we call a "router" in the home networking market is actually a combination of devices: a firewall, NAT, router, DHCP server, Wi-Fi Access Point and switch.  The GS108PEv3 is just a switch.  It is a smart switch but not in ways that grant it the capabilities of any of these other devices found in a "router".

Also how does the DHCP mode enable/disable function works? The manual just tell you to toggle it between 'browser access', 'Prosafe utility access', etc.

The DHCP mode here is a DHCP client function.  You may be confusing it with a DHCP server function.  A DHCP server hands out IP addresses to clients.  If you disable DHCP on the switch, then the switch will not dynamically acquire an IP address from a DHCP server.  Instead, you must manually configure an IP address on the switch itself.

Can you clarify what the model of the Lucent-Alcatel modem is?  There's no mention of i040g-p anywhere on the Internet.  Try looking for a label on the modem.

Message 7 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@watchheirmc,

It is not possible to make the GS108PEv3 switch work as a router. 

The GS108PEv3 has a default IP address of 192.168.0.239.  You will need to change its default IP address to an IP address that is within the IP range of your LAN so that it will be accessible within your existing network.

Here are the steps below:

1. Disconnect the GS108PEv3 switch from your existing network.  Connect a PC to a LAN port of your GS108PEv3 switch.

2. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC.

3. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" and "password" as the username and password respectively without the quotation marks.

Note: The default IP address of GS108PEv3 is 192.168.0.239. 

4. The Switch Information page displays. In the DHCP Mode menu, select Disable.

5. Enter a static IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network in the field provided (for example: 10.0.0.9).  Also, enter the corresponding subnet mask and default gateway then click Apply.

Note: You will lose access to the web-GUI of the GS108PEv3 because you have just change its IP Address which is normal.

6. Connect a LAN port of the GS108PEv3 to your router.  

Note: Double-check if your Alcatel-Lucent i040g-p is a combination of modem and router.  If ever it is just a modem-only device, you will need to purchase router and deploy it between the Alcatel-Lucent i040g-p and the GS108PEv3 switch.  

7. Set your PC/laptop to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically."  Then connect it to a LAN port of the GS108PEv3. 

8. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type the static IP Address you have set to the GS108Ev3 then press Enter.  If you are able to access it, then it means that the GS108PEv3 is now a part of your existing network.

Note: You may also perform a connectivity test.  Open command prompt on your PC/laptop then ping the static IP address you have set to the GS108PEv3.  If you receive replies then it means that the GS108PEv3 is reachable within your existing network. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 13
watchheirmc
Aspirant

Dear all, thank you for your replies and instructions.

This is the documentation for the router I believe:

https://infoproducts.alcatel-lucent.com/cgi-bin/dbaccessfilename.cgi/3FE52124BEAADEZZA_V1_7342%20ISA...

Will check whether it is a modem/router or modem only.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 13
watchheirmc
Aspirant

If in case the modem is without the router function, which additional router product should I get to partner with the switch and wireless AP, so that I get all the other "home networking router" functions such as firewall, DHCP server, etc?

Since I already got the switch and the wireless AP, would be great if the additional router product does not have too much overlapping functions with those two, yet is robust enough so that it will not bottleneck any devices downstream.

Many thanks in advance.

Message 10 of 13
TheEther
Guru

The Alcatel-Lucent device is an ONT (Optical Network Terminal).  It does not appear to contain a router.  If you want to minimize the overlap between a router and your existing switch and wireless AP, then Netgear doesn't have any consumer grade products that fit the bill. 

You could go with one of their business class firewalls.  I don't have any personal experience with them.  Alternatively, you can consider a non-wireless router from Ubiquiti.  Either the Edgerouter Lite (ERL) or the Unifi Security Gateway (USG) would work.  They are similar, hardware-wise but are managed very differently.  The ERL has a GUI + CLI.  The USG is managed by controller software that must be installed on a PC, Raspberry Pi or Cloud Key (basically, a small computer on a USB stick).

Or you could just get a basic Wi-Fi router and disable the Wi-Fi.  It really depends on what kind of features you want.

Message 11 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@watchheirmc,

Just a reminder: Both ProSAFE VPN Firewall product line and the ProSECURE UTM Firewall product line of NETGEAR are already EOL (End-of-Life).  Kindly check the EOL Announcement on the links below: 

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/security/vpn-firewalls.aspx

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/security/utm-firewalls.aspx#tab-overview 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 13
watchheirmc
Aspirant

Thanks very much DaneA and TheEther for your help!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements