× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear GS516TP / Roaming Guest Wifi / DD-WRT / OpenWRT / WNDR3700 and others

pdobrien3
Aspirant

Netgear GS516TP / Roaming Guest Wifi / DD-WRT / OpenWRT / WNDR3700 and others

Hello everyone.  Happy New Year,

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 running DD-WRT as my main router.  This router has two guest access points, one for adults (192.168.3.100-105) and one for kids (192.168.2.100-105).  I use the different IP addressing schemes so I can control access on the kids account.  It also runs our main network (192.168.1.100-130).

I also have a Linksys WRT54GS (DD-WRT) and an Asus RT-N56U (OpenWRT) running as access points.  One up stairs and one in the master.  My goal, was to setup roamimg Wifi by adding the guest accounts to the WRT54GS and RT-N56U.  I am pretty sure that they work when each are connect directly to the WNDR3700.  Once they go into their permanent locations, which throws the GS516TP switch into the mix, I have a hard time pulling an IP from the WNDR3700 at the N56U and the WRT54GS.  

I bought the GS516TP to ultimately run POE security cameras and now that I have it I think it might be above my knowledge when it comes to everything it does (self taught network geek ;-))

Any suggestions on where to turn, links, pushes in the right direction.....anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Model: GS516TP|ProSAFE 16-port PoE Smart Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear GS516TP / Roaming Guest Wifi / DD-WRT / OpenWRT / WNDR3700 and others

Hi pdobrien3,

Yes, it does support VLAN tagging. You also must be aware that the router(s) need to support VLAN as well for routing purposes. For more information, you may look up "VLANs" on page 64 of the user guide.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pdobrien3, 

Welcome to the community! 

Let us try to isolate your connections first. See if the switch will pass data when connected directly to the WNDR3700. Second, check if a computer can get an IP from your WRT54GS and the RT-N56U. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 6
pdobrien3
Aspirant

Yes, I can get an IP and connect to the internet.  I think I identified another problem which has led me to concentrate more on the WNDR3700 at this point.  Haven''t even been able to put the GS516TP in the mix.  Question though.  The 516TP does in fact support VLAN tagging correct?

If so, can I tag individual ports with multiple VLANs?  I ask because ultimately it looks like I am going to have to create at least two VLANs for my scenario to work.  I don't really understand VLANs as of yet but I will try and ask my question.  The WNDR3700 would be part of each VLAN plus the computer I use to connect to the 561TP to do config changes is also connected to the WNDR3700.  I only have one Cat5 cable coming from the 516TP to the WNDR3700 so theoretically that port on the back of the 3700 would have to be tagged with three different VLANs correct?

Thanks,

Dan

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pdobrien3,

Yes, it does support VLAN tagging. You also must be aware that the router(s) need to support VLAN as well for routing purposes. For more information, you may look up "VLANs" on page 64 of the user guide.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 6
pdobrien3
Aspirant

Yes, the router not being capable of supporting vlan tagging (Atheros chip) is what pulled me away from the switch as the issue.  Thank you very much 😉

Message 5 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pdobrien3,

You are most welcome. Please feel free to open a new topic if you have questions with VLANs or a new setup that you want to try. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements