× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAID1 Single Disk (Disk 2 disappears)

docster121
Aspirant

Re: RAID1 Single Disk (Disk 2 disappears)

Exact same problem with me.

Stora 2 x 2tb drives WD currently running fw 2.3.3

Not long after buying my stora I first brought one disk then added a second around a month later, However the second would not add to the raid with the exact same problem as everyone in this thread.

The only way I could get the stora to raid was to wipe my first disk and add them both together at the same time. Fortunately I had only a few hundred GB to backup and copy over.
An obvious problem with the firmware i thought? An update to fw 2.3.3 came not long after so i updated all has been going well until now.

A few days back my second disk turned orange, logging into the user interface a pop up asked me to configure a newly inserted disk, however as the disk wasn't new it had been in a raid with the other since new.
Obviously I expected the disk was dying so I popped it out, attached it to my PC ran diagnostics and the disk turns out to be fine.

So i popped the disk back into the stora reconfigured as raid it gave me a time of 5 hours. So I left it for an hour came back to check both lights are solid green. Logged into disk management my status raid1 single disk. it will not configure my second disk back to raid!

I now have 1.74 TB of data stored on the stora that once again wont raid.

Im still running fw 2.3.3 and reading this thread fw 2.6 still has the same problem so this has been a problem for at least the past three firmwares.

What good is a raid box that wont raid?

There seems to be no fix for this so im thinking of buying another box (not Netgear) and turning my back on the stora. Which is a shame as its a nice little nas but its just not reliable because of poor fw!
Message 51 of 68
soana
Aspirant

Latest firmware and three months after installing the NAS second disk fails.
Now after 5 hours (2Tb disc) of crunching the disc is back online.
No error message just an email saying that something is wrong and I should check the preferences in the stora web page.
My question is the disc bad or is it just a bug? and if it is bad why does it allow me to re-install it in the system?
More questions:
Where is the log detailing the error?
Why do I have to give up my admin user name and password to axentra support for them to be able to investigate?
Message 52 of 68
docster121
Aspirant

soana wrote:

Why do I have to give up my admin user name and password to axentra support for them to be able to investigate?

This is the reason i block my stora from accessing the internet.

They will want to log in remotely and check to see whats wrong
Message 53 of 68
mrsqueezy
Aspirant

I sent my HDD back to Seagate/Samsung

They are currently processing it.

I posted a video of the HDD struggling to spin up on youtube

Search for - "Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI - Noise on spin-up"

mrsqueezy
Message 54 of 68
Southkil
Aspirant

soana wrote:

docster121 wrote:
This is the reason i block my stora from accessing the internet.

They will want to log in remotely and check to see whats wrong

You don't have to give up YOUR admin username and password, just setup another username with admin rights. Once they have fixed your problem, delete the user.

In my experience, the people at Axentra are professional people who are there to help us Stora users out.
Message 55 of 68
Hydrogen
Novice

Hi,
RAID1 Single Disk (2 Disks or Disk 2 disappears) and not RAID1 clean, same problem, and the 2 led are green !!
Is the RAID works really ?? :confused: I dont know if my data are really secure!
should I send back to Netgear ?
Message 56 of 68
soana
Aspirant

Southkil wrote:
You don't have to give up YOUR admin username and password, just setup another username with admin rights. Once they have fixed your problem, delete the user.

In my experience, the people at Axentra are professional people who are there to help us Stora users out.

OK do you care to explain the differences between the two options?
From where I stand they look the same - some please tell me I'm blind.
Message 57 of 68
Southkil
Aspirant

soana wrote:
OK do you care to explain the differences between the two options?
From where I stand they look the same - some please tell me I'm blind.

Ok, let's assume that at the moment your login details are:

Stora name: soanastora
Username : soana
Password : soana1

They are not asking for this infomation. Just setup a new user with admin rights.
Ie
Same stora name
Username: storahelp
Password: storahelp1

When they fix the problem, just delete this account/user. They will never known your own password. Yes, you are allowing them to have the chance to snoop around your stora, but they probably don't care about your 'video' collect or your lastest download of the fantastic Steps greatest hit(s)! 🙂

I trust them because they helped me out when my stora had a funny 5 minutes.

Cheers
🙂
Message 58 of 68
mrsqueezy
Aspirant

Hi again,

Just to update you all - I received a replacement HDD from seagate/samsung today.

Installed with no issues - I am configuring the raid as we speak.

Hopefully this HDD won't fail.

Also to wade in - I created a user for Axentra support - they were professional about the whole situation and were really helpful even though they knew it was probably my HDD that was broken.

mrsqueezy
Message 59 of 68
Southkil
Aspirant

mrsqueezy wrote:
Also to wade in - I created a user for Axentra support - they were professional about the whole situation and were really helpful even though they knew it was probably my HDD that was broken.

mrsqueezy

This is exactly what i'm on about. Professional, helping out even if they know it's not their equipment/software that is at fault.
Message 60 of 68
docster121
Aspirant

mrsqueezy wrote:
Just an update on my situation.

Robyb has had a look at my Stora and can't get the raid to fail.

I explained to Robyb that the stora was still beeping.

He replied saying that the stora has no internal speaker.

I've never heard of HDD having an internal speaker and searching through youtube clips there is certainly no sound like the one my stora/hdd is making.

ps - many thanks to Robyb

Hi mrsqueezy glad everything has worked out for you but your problem does seem to be different to most of us here, given the beeping it would make sense the drive was failing. Hope you've had better luck with the new drive.

We still very much have a problem and the only way for me to raid my stora is to delete all the data and start fresh with the two empty disks as the raid will never rebuild.

Also sorry guys for my previous post, to clear some of the confusion I wasn't suggesting the support guys at Axentra to be unprofessional i'm sure they are great and from what I have read they seem to try their best to assist.

I was just suggesting that allowing the stora access to the internet potentially allows remote access, so unless you need remote access there is no need to have it connected to the net.
Message 61 of 68
400sticks
Aspirant

docster121 wrote:
Hi mrsqueezy glad everything has worked out for you but your problem does seem to be different to most of us here, given the beeping it would make sense the drive was failing. Hope you've had better luck with the new drive.

We still very much have a problem and the only way for me to raid my stora is to delete all the data and start fresh with the two empty disks as the raid will never rebuild.

Also sorry guys for my previous post, to clear some of the confusion I wasn't suggesting the support guys at Axentra to be unprofessional i'm sure they are great and from what I have read they seem to try their best to assist.

I was just suggesting that allowing the stora access to the internet potentially allows remote access, so unless you need remote access there is no need to have it connected to the net.
Hey, does anyone know if this is being looked into by Netgear? This appears to be my exact problem and I am keen (no doubt like some others) to have it fixed. Cheers, Scuba.
Message 62 of 68
robyb
Aspirant

400sticks wrote:
Hey, does anyone know if this is being looked into by Netgear? This appears to be my exact problem and I am keen (no doubt like some others) to have it fixed.

Cheers, Scuba.

I've only had about 4 people contact me. 3 of which indeed had bad disks and when replaced, the issue went away. The other was resolved differently so we don't know if it's a fluke or fix, we're waiting for more data! As noted in this thread, feel free to e-mail me access to your Stora for investigation.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 63 of 68
Rice
Aspirant

Hi all,
I've been having the same problem for a while too now -
2 x 1TB identical drives set up in mirror raid working fine. Then, at random, when I check the drive status using the Stora agent, it reports back that it is a single disk array, the second drive has completely disappeared!
BUT, there are two green lights on the front of the Stora and I've never received an error email from the Stora (Has ANYONE every received an error email from their Stora?)

Any clues? :confused:

Cheers
Message 64 of 68
Rice
Aspirant

Right...

Looks like I've sorted my problem.

I've replaced the 2 x 1TB drives with 2 x 2TB drives and all is working well (Though the time to make a backup to another drive and then transfer it back takes forever :rolleyes: ).
(For info, the 2 drives are Western Digital WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0)
(Seagate ST32000542AS and they seem fine 🙂 )

The Stora, though it's not been a long test... is looking ok.
BUT, when I place the original Stora drive in a PC, the drive SMART is reporting the drive has failed. QED.

The Stora is still under warranty so I've dropped them an email asking about how I go about replacing the drive, so waiting for a reply there. I've also been on the Seagate web site and the drive is still under warranty with them also...

As per my last post though... shouldn't this have been picked up by the Stora? Should it then not email me with an error report? Also, if the drive is faulty and the Stora is not reporting that a drive exists if you use the Stora Agent why is the drive LED green?? Isn't this a bit worrying? What happens if this had gone un-noticed until the second drive failed? :eek:

Cheers
Message 65 of 68
boardron
Aspirant

I also have this problem.

Sending a mail to support now...
Message 66 of 68
boardron
Aspirant

Support looked at my stora and determined that a faulty disk was the problem.

Replaced the faulty disk wit a new one...

Out of curiosity, I bought an external housing for the old drive.

No, I just have to apply some checking tools on the old drive to determine if, indeed, is was a problem...
Message 67 of 68
Zorro_Stora
Aspirant

I also have the same problem. I have firmware version 2.6. I have fixed the raid several times but when it is done, the raid fails again. Three times or more, the same result.
One time both leds are green but in "preferences" says that there is only one disk in the raid, other times, one led red and the other one green, in this cases i have received an e-mail advising me that my RAID is broken.

I have passed the fix utility too. Didn´t solve the problem.

The disks are new and they have been working for one year without any problem

Where do i have to write to ask to the support?

Could you help me?

Thank you
Message 68 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7