× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora Raid1 setup problems

GHunter
Aspirant

Stora Raid1 setup problems

I have model Stora MS2000 and by chance bought an approved 2TB HD Samsung HD204UI. As per instructions I setup everything and copied over files, etc all sweet and works fine mapping drives, access from Web, multiple users, etc, etc.
I currently use 250GB of the 2TB available. As per documentation I setup the Stora with a single disk first and now want RAID1 configuration.

HOWEVER - since attempting to setup RAID1 and installing a 2nd Samsung HD exact same model, I followed as per setup documentation and also conflicting instruction on Netgear forum. Yes, I have tried both power down to install 2nd HD and also Hot plug HD and had the joy of hard resetting the Stora from scratch in between time because the unit subsequently fails to respond to anything! Web Access or as a Windows mapped drive access. The Stora simply does not respond to any access request and eventually fails to respond to soft power down, so my only resort was to pull the power cord out and hence having to do hard reset. I had left the unit for over 24hrs to enable it to complete it's mirror, assuming that's what it what doing as both green lights are flashing in a manner I would expect for mirroring activity. I've done this 2 or 3 times over the past week with no joy. And having read as much as I can on the forum have no satisfactory answers.

1) How long would you expect a mirror copy to take???
2) Does the Stora mirror the whole 2TB disk or just 250GB stored???
3) Should the Stora unit be unresponsive during the mirror process??

I wish I had read all the problems with Stora before purchasing I would have built my own linux array on spare kit and be finished inside 48hrs. The Stora unit is supposed to be simple and easy but does not work as advertised in my opinion the documentation available is next to useless and conflicts with this forum.

Currently the Stora unit is still unresponsive and I am letting this 4th attempt at mirroring (if that's what it is doing?) continue and will do so for the next few days. (The power light is steady blue and the HD1 & 2 are flashing green as per normal activity), but any attempt at access via HTTP or Windows mapped drive totally unresponsive, but wasn't initially. I can hear a drive spinning up, slow down and a drive arm moving within one of the disks on a regular basis about once/twice a second.

The fact that there are no clear guides or estimates and with the trouble I have had gives me no confidence in the Stora unit. How can I rely on a Stora supposedly enabled for RAID1 which gives me no feedback as to what it is doing and I want my digital assets to be secure and easy for my family to use???

I am a Netgear fan and all my connectivity is Netgear (Router DGND3700, Prosafe Gigabit Hub GS108v3 & Stora MS2000).

Answers Please......
Message 1 of 3
Yoji
Aspirant

Re: Stora Raid1 setup problems

I would give up with the attempt to build the raid when one disk has Data.

Dont know if your 250GB data is backed up - as it sounds like you cant access it on Stora atm. Assuming the 250GB is not exclusively on the Stora - I would go for a reconfigure and allow Stora to wipe all data and build the RAID with blank disks....

Then put your 250GB back
Cheers
Message 2 of 3
GHunter
Aspirant

Re: Stora Raid1 setup problems

Thanks for the response Yoji, this will be my next course of action.

My frustration however is I'm following Netgear's own recommended installation methods and they appear to be failing!
It should work as per documentation and does not. If I am to trust the RAID1 solution it should work as per documentation to give me confidence my data will be secure too, at present I am not confident I have a robust solution.

I always have backups of backups and never 100% trust anyone else for my data security 😉
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7