× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6100 can't detect ac wifi?

James2014
Aspirant

A6100 can't detect ac wifi?

Hi folk,

Just purchased A6100 few day ago....I encountered problem that unable to receive ac wireless 2.4G and 5G from my ac router but Wifi "N" is fine.

Please kindly advice.

Windows 7, 64bits
Aztech FG7003GRV(AC) dual band ac Router.

Message 1 of 12
fordem
Mentor

Re: A6100 can't detect ac wifi?

How do you know you're not receiving "ac" wireless?
Message 2 of 12
James2014
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
How do you know you're not receiving "ac" wireless?

Left click on the Wireless Network Connection icon at the right bottom corner.

Already updated A6100 driver to newest :-A6100-v1.0.0.12-Genie_8_1_signed
Message 3 of 12
fordem
Mentor

Do you have any other device that connects to that router/SSID as "ac"? By the way - "ac" is a 5GHz only spec, so you cannot "receive ac wireless 2.4G", and yes I did notice the SSID says 5G but an SSID is just a name.
Message 4 of 12
James2014
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
Do you have any other device that connects to that router/SSID as "ac"?

By the way - "ac" is a 5GHz only spec, so you cannot "receive ac wireless 2.4G", and yes I did notice the SSID says 5G but an SSID is just a name.

Refer to my picture, it indicated as Radio Type is 802.11n instead of 802.11ac.

With 500mbps fibre broadband, I am expecting to receive 300~400mpbs with wifi ac adapter but currently speed is ~150mbps which is definitely not wifi ac standard :rolleyes:.
Message 5 of 12
fordem
Mentor

James2014 wrote:
Refer to my picture, it indicated as Radio Type is 802.11n instead of 802.11ac.

I noticed - and answering my question might lead you to finding out WHY.
Message 6 of 12
James2014
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
I noticed - and answering my question might lead you to finding out WHY.

??? Answering which question?

Another ac device to try? sorry no I don't have any?
Message 7 of 12
fordem
Mentor

Here's the way I see it - you have two devices - one an "ac" router, that I believe can be configured to comply with "n" spec, and the other an "ac" client, that is backward compatible" to the "n" spec.

The client will connect and report what it thinks it is connected to - connect it to an "n" network, it will report an "n" connection, connect it to a "g" network, it will report a "g" connection, and so on.

I'm not going to tell you that the problem is your router, but I will say, that it could be, and the only way to be sure is to get a third device, either another router or another client.

One more thing ...

James2014 wrote:
With 500mbps fibre broadband, I am expecting to receive 300~400mpbs with wifi ac adapter but currently speed is ~150mbps which is definitely not wifi ac standard :rolleyes:.

Do not confuse connection speeds and throughput, and bear in mind that WiFi connection speeds are always advertised as "up to" - you can be running 150 mbps connection speed on "ac", it will depend on the environment, and you can also have a much higher connection speed and still experience significantly lower throughput.
Message 8 of 12
James2014
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
Here's the way I see it - you have two devices - one an "ac" router, that I believe can be configured to comply with "n" spec, and the other an "ac" client, that is backward compatible" to the "n" spec.

The client will connect and report what it thinks it is connected to - connect it to an "n" network, it will report an "n" connection, connect it to a "g" network, it will report a "g" connection, and so on.

I'm not going to tell you that the problem is your router, but I will say, that it could be, and the only way to be sure is to get a third device, either another router or another client.

One more thing ...

Do not confuse connection speeds and throughput, and bear in mind that WiFi connection speeds are always advertised as "up to" - you can be running 150 mbps connection speed on "ac", it will depend on the environment, and you can also have a much higher connection speed and still experience significantly lower throughput.

With my laptop built in wifi "N" adapter already received ~150mbps so purchased A6100 is to receive higher speed else it's a waste of dollars to buy it :rolleyes:!

Beside router issue, A6100 defective is also possible too so since it's newly bought, I will bring to the seller to verify first before send the router for repairs.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
Message 9 of 12
James2014
Aspirant

Very disappointed...1st time purchased A6100 and it DOA. Seller offered replacement but no confident on NetGear anymore...switched to TP-Link Archer-T2U instead :rolleyes:.
Message 10 of 12
ehrgeiz
Novice

Have you tried what channel your wifi router is broadcasting? This also happened to me. Few years ago, I set the channel of my wifi router to 13 (and not to automatic). And this posed no problem with my laptop wifi.

Now what happened is that when I bought NetGear's A6100, I was not able tofind my wifi because it can only "see" until channel 11, while my laptop's Atheros wireless LAN adapter can "see" until channel 13.

So, I changed my wifi router's channel settings to auto (currently set at channel 5) and now the A6100 can detect and connect to it

Hope this helps. :).
Message 11 of 12
donbo
Aspirant

Highly dissponited with the netgear,not satisfaction with the product
guess they will solve this issue very soon and update as per the satisfaction of customers
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7