× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6200 Windows 8 support

saintnautilus
Aspirant

A6200 Windows 8 support

Any one get this to work on windows 8? Just installed the OS and it sees the device but doesnt install the correct drivers for it. The blue light doesnt even come on...

Message 1 of 40
saintnautilus
Aspirant

Looks like a beta driver is now available on the support site.
I will be trying this in a few hours at home.
So far the A6200 worked great in win7.
Message 2 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 3 of 40
Geode
Novice

I have been trying with the Beta Driver. It works for a about 15 minutes then the driver throws an error. Other events like Wireless printing c ause it to fail also. I wanted this product, but support cant tell me when the driver will work for Windows 8 and i cant just wait to connect to the internet. It will have to go back to the store.
Message 4 of 40
syan319
Aspirant

how do you get the beta driver to work? I have the files but I don't know what to do with them 😞
Message 5 of 40
syan319
Aspirant

Can someone tell me what I do with the driver files to get it work for windows 8? not sure if my last post got submitted properly. thanks in advance!
Message 6 of 40
forbegos
Aspirant

syan319 wrote:
Can someone tell me what I do with the driver files to get it work for windows 8? not sure if my last post got submitted properly. thanks in advance!

I am having a similar problem. Installed the beta drivers and it worked for about one day. Then tried deleting the drivers, reinstalling them and now I cannot install the drivers. Every time I try to update the drivers from the device manager, I get an error message saying the driver cannot be installed - " The system cannot find the path specified" ?
Message 7 of 40
Golty
Aspirant

okay so i had the same issue and took me a while to figure it out because every time i went into install it would say something like can't install the file already exists or something of the sort...what i did was open the folder A6200_Win8_43526_6.30.145.4_signed and if you right click on the file bcmwlhigh63, a setup information file, then you will be listed with these options Open, and below it Install. If you hit install, it should install it automatically for you 🙂
Message 8 of 40
Golty
Aspirant

A6200_Win8_43526_6.30.145.4_signed Folder

right click on file bcmwlhigh63 hit install "which is below open"

THERE u go its fixed 😄
Message 9 of 40
joeobrien22
Aspirant

Yes, the driver installs properly, and the adapter works.....for a brief time......The adapter will not stay connected in windows 8, It worked fine for a week straight in windows 7. When running it on windows 8, every 5/10/15/30 minutes, (random) it will disconnect in one of two error modes, one is: default gateway not available, which is fixed by troubleshooting, but the other one: the adapter is not working because of a driver or hardware issue, that error requires that I unplug the adapter and plug it back in, then it will work for another 10 minutes before randomly disconnecting. I have uninstalled and installed the drivers properly, multiple times, cleaned regesrty in between, did a fresh install of windows 8 even, and made sure that all windows 8 updates are installed and up to date. I'm using the windows 8 beta driver supplied on the official netgear product support site. This needs to stop, has anyone been able to fix this issue?

Two machines tried:
Asus sabertooth 990fx motherboard, amd fx 8350 eight core processor, 16gb ram, windows 8 pro x64

Msi 870ag54 motherboard, amd phenom x4 deneb 865 black edition quad core, 8gb ram, windows 8 pro x64
Message 10 of 40
avow
Aspirant

joeobrien22 wrote:
Yes, the driver installs properly, and the adapter works.....for a brief time......The adapter will not stay connected in windows 8, It worked fine for a week straight in windows 7. When running it on windows 8, every 5/10/15/30 minutes, (random) it will disconnect in one of two error modes, one is: default gateway not available, which is fixed by troubleshooting, but the other one: the adapter is not working because of a driver or hardware issue, that error requires that I unplug the adapter and plug it back in, then it will work for another 10 minutes before randomly disconnecting. I have uninstalled and installed the drivers properly, multiple times, cleaned regesrty in between, did a fresh install of windows 8 even, and made sure that all windows 8 updates are installed and up to date. I'm using the windows 8 beta driver supplied on the official netgear product support site. This needs to stop, has anyone been able to fix this issue?

Two machines tried:
Asus sabertooth 990fx motherboard, amd fx 8350 eight core processor, 16gb ram, windows 8 pro x64

Msi 870ag54 motherboard, amd phenom x4 deneb 865 black edition quad core, 8gb ram, windows 8 pro x64

I think I figured out where the issue is as I am having the same problem. If I leave the a6200 connected it will not drop off. The only time it does drop off is as soon as I try to access files on the computer from another computer through the HomeGroup. It would seem that the issue with the Windows 8 drives is isolated to networking, everything else works fine.
Message 11 of 40
Adohl
Novice

avow wrote:
I think I figured out where the issue is as I am having the same problem. If I leave the a6200 connected it will not drop off. The only time it does drop off is as soon as I try to access files on the computer from another computer through the HomeGroup. It would seem that the issue with the Windows 8 drives is isolated to networking, everything else works fine.

Nope, I've got this problem as well and I don't use homegroup at all. This problem is very frickin annoying.
Message 12 of 40
WirelessWacko
Aspirant

I bought this USB adapter to work along with my A6300 Router and obtain the fastest possible Wifi speeds at home. It worked great on Windows 7, copied ALOT of data through my network, worked flawlessly.

I just formatted to Windows 8 and like described above, the WIFI adapter will work fine until I try and copy/access certain files on my home server PC. The windows explorer network window begins to hang, green status bar starts going as if it is rescanning for networks. All internet activity on the PC halts at this point, Windows shows MY network as the only Wi-Fi one around.

The only fix is to remove the usb adapter from its dock and re-connect it. It then will work fine until I need to access my server. Tried new drivers, standalones, and just reformatted my PC again, still no avail.

The driver/adapter is clearly has a problem and needs to be fixed. And now considering most PC's now are being forced with Windows 8 and are harder to change if you don't know how to work around the UEFI's you think it would be a bit more of a priority?

Nothing like using my 5 year old D-Link adapter to enjoy my $250 network setup :mad:
Message 13 of 40
NKonFYA
Aspirant

Hi, I have the 0.26 drivers (the latest with beam forming capability). As I progressed through the firmware updates the issue of disconnections became fewer and further inbetween.

With the latest driver, I am able to go 2-3 days without hiccups. On the 2nd day, I usually get disconnected and have to use the trouble shooter and or manually pulling out and resetting the adapter in my USB 3.0 slot.

On the 3rd day, troubleshooter wont work, and re-inserts of the adapter result in 20-30 min connection times before I get booted off and have to repeat the manual re-insertion.

The solution I found is to uninstall the Netgear software when the connection issues get REALLY bad or unbearable, and then re-install the 0.26 drivers. This should give you another 2-3 days.

Netgear should honestly look at this and other posts relating to their sub-par compatibility and performance with Windows 8. Calls to tech support get me nowhere. This is an expensive adapter, and the consumer deserves a new driver that will have it work reliably and with the performance advertised.
Message 14 of 40
NKonFYA
Aspirant

Netgear censored my comment?
Message 15 of 40
WirelessWacko
Aspirant

Still no solutions, drivers are still buggy.

I had to run Windows 7 over 8 just to get better compatibility with my netgear A6200. And now even on windows 7 the adapter will fuck itself up leaving me with NO internet connection and a windows networking troubleshooter. Again having to pull it out of the USB port and reconnect it.

Save yourself the frustration and don't buy this shit.

Thanks NETGEAR, and your techies that can't make a fucking driver.
Message 16 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Foul language is NOT allowed.
Message 17 of 40
Mark_K
Tutor

WirelessWacko wrote:
Still no solutions, drivers are still buggy.

I had to run Windows 7 over 8 just to get better compatibility with my netgear A6200. And now even on windows 7 the adapter will fuck itself up leaving me with NO internet connection and a windows networking troubleshooter. Again having to pull it out of the USB port and reconnect it.

Save yourself the frustration and don't buy this shit.

Thanks NETGEAR, and your techies that can't make a fucking driver.

Do not use the latest drivers for this adaptor. Use the driver that came with the unit.
The new one does not work. on bootup or wake from sleep you have to manually pull the adaptor out of the USB port and reconnect it. This is a known bug that NetGear knows about.
Message 18 of 40
Mark_K
Tutor

jmizoguchi wrote:
Foul language is NOT allowed.

And you're not a moderator.
Message 19 of 40
MickClark
Novice

I am having exactly the same issue.

The A6200 connects to my R6300 at 585Mbps and the throughtput is great. However, every once in a while, it decides it wants a bit of a break and these are the symptoms:

In order to fix this, I too have to unplug the unit and plug it back in and within a milli second it is connected and happily on the internet again.....for 5/10/15/30 minutes.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro on an Asus Sabretooth 990fx.

Seems to be a common problem on W8 machines, but why haven't Netgear bothered to fix or acknowledge it?
Message 20 of 40
MickClark
Novice

With the dropped connection issues discussed in the previous post, I decided to replace the A6200 with an ASUS PCE-AC66 1300Mbps Wireless PCI-E Network Interface Card. I've fitted it into my machine and it connects to the Netgear router perfectly. ....

The Netgear AC router is fantastic, but the A6200 USB AC adapter is flawed from start to finish. From not having the USB3.0 connectivity to make use of the full bandwidth, to dropping the connection and locking as previously described it just isn't a good product. Mine's in the post for a refund.
Message 21 of 40
mluna20
Tutor

I have both the WNDA4100 and the A6200 and they are both worthless on Windows 8.

Mark
Message 22 of 40
Ouoertheo
Novice

I just purchased the A6200 and am having the same issues described here in Windows 8.1 Build 9431.

Anyone else seeing these errors in their event logs?
Source: System | Event ID: 7000
"The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified." (Go to Start > eventvwr.exe > System > Filter > and filter by event ID 7000)

It appears that the device is using a Broadcom chipset and the service is crashing out in my situation.

I don't know if I'm going to stick with the A6200 though, I'm not a fan of Broadcom. I'll try support though.
Message 23 of 40
fghamilton
Novice

Wow. This is enlightening. I've been facing the same issues as many posters with A6200 - needing to reinstall drivers. I don't haven't I'll have to try the pulling and reinserting the adapter but the couple of times I tried that earlier I had no success. My initial problems stemmed from trying to set it up with a Linksys EA6500. I won't bore you with details but suffice to say that after 3 days of losing internet connectivity along with frequently losing just wireless connection caused me to replace the EA6500 with an ASUS RT-AC66U which solved the loss of internet drops. While waiting for the replacement, I had the A6200 linked with a Linksys WRT54G router and had no wireless/internet losses for 4-days. Now that I'm back to ~250-300 Mbps speeds the wireless losses reappear.

I suspect drivers and think perhaps the stand-alone 1.0.0.26 is a tad more stable than the version with Genie nut still I have wireless drops. I may give the 1.0.0.23 a try next time it drops. In the long haul, I may just search for a good "n" adapter and wait for the "ac" adapters to get a life.

In summary, if anything is encouraging with this adapter/firmware/support issue, it is the voices being raised about the sad state of it. That may prompt a quicker solution. However, as in the case of my router return/replacement one can take just so much frustration before jumping ship for another product.
Message 24 of 40
Mark_K
Tutor

posting on this forum alone will not help in getting any issues fixed.
You must register your issues at NetGear support site.
Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series