× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6200 --> R6300 problem

IceViking
Novice

A6200 --> R6300 problem

I bought a R6300 router a while back. Wasn't really that impressed with the wireless speed but it hasn't dropped a connection and that was a HUGE improvement of the Buffalo and 2 linksys that preceded it.

I was using a linksys AE1000 USB adapter.

Then I read about the "ac" feature of the R6300 router and bought a A6200 Wireless USB adapter. Nice looking piece of equipment but its operation sucks.

Right away I started having problems logging in. Net Genie would just sit there and do nothing.

When I tried to "solve the problem" I would get microsoft popups asking for permission for it to operate.

If I skipped all of that and just unplugged and replugged the adaptor it booted right up.
But how long will it last doing that everyday or should I even have to do that.

I've uninstalled the A6200 software and now it won't connect. Plugged back in the AE1000 and it installed and hooked right up. Still a bar short of where I was before.

So. Why is it that two products made by the same company have these issues WORKING TOGETHER?

And what do I need to do to get a reliable and functional wireless connection using an EXPENSIVE net gear router and a EXPENSIVE net gear wireless adapter?

Message 1 of 10
IceViking
Novice

Re: A6200 --> R6300 problem

39 views and not a response? Is this complicated?

R6300 worked fine with no connection errors.

Installed software that came with the A6200 wireless USB adapter and immediately had issues with it.

The software won't connect to the router. Unplug the adapter and plug it back in and it works starts right up.'

Go to the "genie" rub the lamp and I will get several microsoft popups asking me if I want netgear to make changes to my computer.

Unfortunately there wasn't an option for;

Yes... quit screwing with me.

So what is wrong with two pieces of networking hardware made by the same company that can't seem to "find" each other?
Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you try installing the drivers only option? Also delete genie if using and all software for the A6200 before reinstalling.
Message 3 of 10
IceViking
Novice

"delete genie if using and all software for the A6200 before reinstalling."

I think you mean to delete the genie program but don't reinstall it?

Then delete the A6200 then reinstall it?

Is that right?
Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Last time I checked I thought the install allowed a driver only install if that's the case try drivers only. Be sure you delete all previous drivers first.

The comments about Genie, Some use the PC app or the phone app. It seems those apps have caused some problems so I wanted to be sure you weren't using them.
Message 5 of 10
IceViking
Novice

Should I still expect to see the AC speed vs the N speed?
Message 6 of 10
IceViking
Novice

This is what is included in the latest update zip file.

\Downloads\A6200_V1.0.0.26.zip\

A6200-setup-V1.0.0.26-signed.exe. This one wants to install the A6200 GENIE software

A6200-standalone-V1.0.0.11-signed.exe

this one wants to install the genie software as well. So those are the ONLY two options right now that I can find
Message 7 of 10
IceViking
Novice

went through the "process" again with "live chat" and had the same results.

Then they wanted me to restart after we deleted everything again.

Restart go back to live chat and they are offline. I"m really beginning to hate netgear
Message 8 of 10
IceViking
Novice

Still haven't found a solution to this problem.

Is there someone on these forums that KNOWS for certain this a6200 will FOR CERTAIN connect to a R6300 router and provide AC throughput?

Or am I wasting my time trying to get something to work that doesn't.

Netgears "fix" after 2 weeks of this is.... PAY to send it back and we will send you another.

At this point I'm not even sure I want another one.

Anybody?

:confused:
Message 9 of 10
KarterJK
Novice

This is long after your question, but yes, absolutely A6200 and R6300 work great together, I get 866 mbps connections and my router is on main floor and adapter is in basement.

There are 2 exceptions, I get pixilation when using Windows Media Center, and I can not get it to automatically connect on start up when using Windows 8.1.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7