× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 connecting but not connecting

popolary
Aspirant

A6210 connecting but not connecting

So I've installed the latest software on a Windows Vista desktop. It shows that it's installed correctly and connects to the internet 2.4 hz but has limited connectivity.  I cannot access the internet. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 6

@popolary wrote:

It shows that it's installed correctly and connects to the internet 2.4 hz but has limited connectivity.  I cannot access the internet.

What tells you that you cannot access the internet? You get an error message in something?

What is this "limited connectivity"?

I usually suggest running the Network troubleshooter in Windows with problems like this, but it probably doesn't exist in Vista, and was never much good before Windows 10 arrived.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that by using Windows Vista to connect to the Internet you are playing with fire. It may also be that newer USB adapters won't support that 15-year old operating system.

Message 2 of 6
popolary
Aspirant

When I attempt to connect, I get the message that it is connected but with "limited connectivity." So one cannot pull up any webpages or such.  From what I'm told "limited connectivity" means it's connected to the network but can't access the internet.

This is my parent's old computer that we brought over to their new house. So I'm trying to get it up connected for them to simply use to surf the net and check emails. Not sure what you mean by "playing with fire."  This model says it is backwards compatible with slower USB speeds as well as with the Vista OS.  

Message 3 of 6

@popolary wrote:

When I attempt to connect, I get the message that it is connected but with "limited connectivity."

Yes, but where do you see this message?

In a browser? An error message in some sort of wifi connection utility? Somewhere else?

What is the exact message?

Unfortunately,  none of the screen shots I have for Windows will help with something that old,  but it seems to me that your issue is a Vista thing, not much that your USB adapter can do about it.

For possible clues, look for the Vista version of something like this, if it exists.

Networkstatus.jpg

Message 4 of 6
popolary
Aspirant

I am now over 3 hours away from my parents house, where the computer is located so I can't access it to give details. Seems to me though that once it "connected," I would click on the wifi connection icon in the bottom right and it would show the limited connectivity. No web pages would pull up. I will have to respond with details next week when I return to their house.

I do recall seeing the message to try a different IP address among 2-3 other options but none of them worked. =/

Message 5 of 6

@popolary wrote:

Seems to me though that once it "connected," I would click on the wifi connection icon in the bottom right and it would show the limited connectivity.

Does sound like a Windows thing. Not much that people here can help with, especially with Windows being that old.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7