× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 no AC connection , only N

Wallou
Aspirant

A6210 no AC connection , only N

Hi,

My A6210 does not connect to my router in AC mode.

Only in N.

I am on Windows 10 x64.

I notice it now because i just got a 1Gb fiber connection and the bandwich is not as it should be.

This occurs only with A6210 because friends on their laptops connect in AC with the built-in wifi chip.

I tried to install latest firmware/softawre but nothing changes.

Here is a screenshot of the task manager :

Capture.JPG

Please advice.

Thanks

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 10
TheEther
Guru

It could be a bug in the Task Manager.  Go to Network and Sharing Control Panel and click on the blue link for your Wi-Fi network.  IIRC, this will display the connection status and, possibly, the protocol.  If you are running Windows 10, then I believe the protocol is also displayed in Settings->Wi-Fi, somewhere.

If you find that the adapter is truly using only N, then go to the driver settings and see if there are any options to use AC.

Message 2 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

What is your router? Is it set up to use -ac mode on wireless?

Message 3 of 10
dk2463123
Aspirant

I think OP has already stated that others connect as -ac so it sounds like the network is correctly set to handle the -ac protocol. This sounds like the already known and still unaddressed issue where the A6210 reports back as -n on Windows 10 even when connected to an -ac network. There is supposedly an alpha software patch floating around but this issue seems to be known already by Netgear but not resolved.

Message 4 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi  All,

Please PM me your contact info if you have issues showing incorrect mode even when connected to an AC router

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 10
erwin3791
Aspirant

Hi,

nooo PM me PM me! Others have the same problem on same platform. Please provide a working driver in AC for Windows 10.

Thanks in advance

Erwin

Message 6 of 10
Wallou
Aspirant

Hi

Sorry for late reply i have been on holidays for 3 weeks and be back in a few days at home.

Wherever in Windows I look it's a N WiFi connection I have.

I don't recall seeing such a parameter in the driver settings.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U router and as stated above friends get AC connection so the router is fine I think.

I am pretty sure I am in N connection because friends have way better bandwidth speed compared to what i have with my Netgear A6210.

I made tests from the same room in my house and good WiFi signal.

Message 7 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the same issue and I would like the download to the patched version of the driver. Even if it is a PreTest version. 

Message 8 of 10
Wallou
Aspirant

I come back here to give a few feedbacks after some tests i have made.

Despite seeing 802.11n in task manager , i think my a6210 is in fact connected in AC mode as i can see in the wifi network details that i am connected at 866mbits to my asus router.

But there is one thing i don't understand is why i can't go faster than 300mbits when testing my connection speed with online tools.

I read that it could be related to my a6210 running in usb2, but it is not the case.
With usbtreeviewer i see it is connected to a usb3 port.

When i connect through ethernet to my router i get speed tests above 700mbits, i have a 1Gb fiber connection.

I would expect to have better speed in wifi with the a6210.

But still i find it disturbing as 300mbits is the 802.11n max speed rate. 

Anyone can help me to go faster than 300mbit please ?

Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

TL;DR 300 Mbps is pretty normal out of a 867 Mbps Wi-Fi connection.

Unlike Ethernet, Wi-Fi link speed (the connection rate reported by Windows) and throughput (the real world, actual speed) are very different. The reason is that Wi-Fi requires a lot of overhead. A rule of thumb is to expect throughput no better than 50% of the link speed. It will frequently be worse than that. 300 is 34% of 867, which is pretty typical.

While Wi-Fi is great and convenient, if you want the best, most reliable performance, use Ethernet.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7