× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failed to join wireless network

Bleurk
Aspirant

Failed to join wireless network

It seems I am not alone. I have tried everything suggested in previous posts and am getting nowhere. A6200 wifi adapter refuses to connect to recently acquired D6200 router. Router works fine for 2.4G N at 78Mbps.

I have tried each and every one of the software versions available for donwload with uninstalls and reboots between and get the same result in the end with each one:

'Failed to join network'

Except for one attempt using WPS looked like it achieved something but only at 5.4 Mbps and that failed to allow an internet connection before dropping out after a few seconds.

This shouldn't be difficult and yet.......

Please help (and yes I have tried all the basics....)

Bleurk.:mad:

Host Name: IAN-HP
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: Ian
Registered Organization: Hewlett-Packard Company
Product ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00010
Original Install Date: 24/10/2011, 16:05:25
System Boot Time: 16/07/2014, 13:49:55
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: p6-2022uk
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2871 Mhz
BIOS Version: AMI 7.11, 23/08/2011

Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Failed to join wireless network

You should try 5Ghz been both adapter and router is 802.11AC.

Lower connection of 2.4Ghz size maybe a sign of saturated 2.4Ghz around where you live?
Router has capable of lowering the speed to manage in saturated area (neighbor friendly feature)
Message 2 of 6
Bleurk
Aspirant

I am clear that the 5G ac network is present and available. It is correctly listed by both windows and the genie software.

2.4G N connection between A6200 and D6200 works absolutely fine.

Disconnect all networks and attempt to connect to the identified 5G in the genie list results in the same error every time:
'Failed to join network'

I have tried all of the versions of the software in turn with uninstalls and reboots between each change with no difference in the result.

I'm beginning to think the product is not fit for purpose.

I have spent an entire working day on this now....
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

5Ghz has less range yet I assume you are testing around 5feet away from the extender?
Message 4 of 6
Bleurk
Aspirant

Distance is about 6 feet. I am clear that the PC can 'see' the router as windows reports the router as being present with a signal strength of 'fair'.

Netgear support have swapped the adapter for a replacement A6200 - 100WWB.

And that gives exactly the same results.

ie 2.4G N works well and is very stable.

5G AC - 'Failed to join network'

I have tried various channels and various speed settings on the router and no improvement.

Does anyone actually have one of these that works?
Message 5 of 6
Bleurk
Aspirant

OK so Netgear support came back to me to arrange a time for their level 2 support to contact me by phone and conduct troubleshooting.

Friendly and helpful chap identified quickly that the issue was nothing to do with the A6200 adapter but actually to do with the D6200 router.

The new firmware I was prompted to dowload when I first set it up last week has apparently some issues affecting 5Ghz performance. The support chap rolled back the firmware and 5GHz network is now connecting.

The support case is being kept open for a few days so that I can see if it remains functional and stable.

I am advised that a new new firmware will be available in about a month and to look out for it on the Netgear support page for the D6200.

From very frustrated to quite pleased!!

Now if only Netgear could be proactive in contacting registered customers as and when they know there is an issue.........
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7