× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear A7000 USB WLAN Stick AC1900

Planeto
Aspirant

Netgear A7000 USB WLAN Stick AC1900

Hello Community,

why does the Netgaer genie program only show 877Mbit/s when the adapter can receive 1.9GB/s? It jumps back and forth between 977 and 877. I have a 500Mbit's connection.

The next question is:
Why is the software no longer updated for the stick? The drivers (1.0.0.15) in the settings are from 25.12.2017.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

The A7000 can do a link speed of 1300mbps in the 5ghz range and 600mbps in the 2.4ghz range. (1300+600=1900, but they can't do both bands at the same time)

The 1300mbps link speed? its without any interference and right next to the router and with a router that supports a 3x3 connection. 

Most devices are going to be in an area with some wireless interference as well as its probably not right next to the router or you'd just use an ethernet wire. So you're going to see a drop from the 1300. Hitting 977/877 is pretty good for link speed (again, depending on distance, obstructions, interference)

Something to keep in mind is that link speed isn't the same as throughput. Your actual throughput tends to be around 55-65% of what link speed is. Some devices are a little more efficient and can hit a bit higher but it tends to be in that range. 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

And the update reason? the underlying chip is a realtek chip. If realtek doesn't update it, there isn't anything for netgear to do as they control the basic firmware/driver for the chipset. 

Message 3 of 7
Planeto
Aspirant

I use the 5Ghz band. The stick is connected to my PC because the motherboard I have is a version without WLAN/Bluetooth chip. This is also the main reason why I bought the stick, because I didn't want to change the whole mainboard. A LAN cable I can not connect, because otherwise it would be lying around in the apartment, because I have no place for it.

The stick is located in my room. Between the router and the stick is a thicker wall. The reception always shows me full reception. Sometimes I have three bars out of four.

When I do a speed test the PC almost always shows 40-45mbits.

I think it all works as it should and I worry about it unnecessarily.

Message 4 of 7
Planeto
Aspirant

I thought maybe that would improve the connection, but as long as it works fine like it does now, you don't need an update. Thanks anyway

Message 5 of 7

@Planeto wrote:

A LAN cable I can not connect, because otherwise it would be lying around in the apartment, because I have no place for it.

You may be a candidate for Powerline Ethernet. It turns the mains circuit into an Ethernet cable. But apartments may not have suitable mains wiring.

Message 6 of 7
Planeto
Aspirant

Thanks first of all for the tip. I do not know exactly whether that would work, because I do not know how the power lines are connected together, but in my apartment the cables to the sockets should be laid only my apartment anyway, because otherwise you could use electricity from the neighbor and you do not want that. As I said, thanks for the tip, I would have to order it from Amazon and if it does not work then just send it back because you can return it within 30 days.

I will definitely try it because you have made me now on the subject interesting. 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7