× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNCE2001 power led blinking green and no connection

glangloi
Aspirant

I'm so glad I found this forum. Thank you for listing out those steps!
Message 26 of 35
caraman
Aspirant

I read on one of the threads about downloading updated firmware to the device but the location on the thread is now removed presumably because there is no longer support for the device. Has any one got details of how to reload the device with the new firmware?
Message 27 of 35
Calipete
Aspirant

Kudos to kubrick89 for this solution, especially after Netgear told me it couldn't be fixed! The only addition I would make to kubrik98's instructions are to put the full path into your cmd screen. Otherwise, at least in my case, the computer couldn't find the file. For simplicity, I dropped the firmware file into the root folder and then typed out my cmd line like this:

tftp -i 192.168.1.251 PUT C:\WNCE2001-V1.0.0.26NA.img

Also, before hitting enter, I plugged the Ethernet cable into the WNCE2001, THEN plugged in the power adapter, and after about one second pressed Enter to push the file.

I thought at first it didn't work, then suddenly the light went solid yellow, then solid green! YAY! It now works! How do I know for sure? I'm posting this message through the newly fixed WNCE2001.

Hope this helps! Cheers! 🙂

kubrick89 wrote:
Hi everyone... just registered because i had same problem and want to share how i fixed it:

First this to note is that, as stated in first post, blinking power led is due to firmware corruption.

To fix it you have to follow this tutorial:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18989/~/router-power-led-blinks-slowly-and-router-no-l...

Just few considerations:

-Default IP should be 192.168.1.251 (even if your unit is "bricked"). You can check it by installing any software like fing or lookatlan.

-tftp is by default disabled in windows vista/7... just google how to enable it.

-As stated in tutorial you have to wait some minutes (2 or 3) after firmware upload to let wnce2001 to write new firmware... when it's done it will auto-reboot.

Example of command using last firmware:
tftp -i 192.168.1.251 PUT WNCE2001-V1.0.0.26.img

Here you can find last firmwares:
http://support.netgear.com/product/WNCE2001

Hope this may help someone
Message 28 of 35
jeremyclevenger
Aspirant

Thanks so much jalloma2!  Was able to get mine back up and running in a "flash!"  Excellent step-by-step write up as it was very easy to follow.  Many kudos!!!

Message 29 of 35
SV_Gary
Aspirant

I have the exact problem: after a few months use, the unit (WNCE2001) suddenly starts Power LED green blinking and lost connection! Tried power up with “Reset" button hold;

"reset" button after powered up;

change to a different AC outlet;

No success!!

Any other brand of such "universal wifi adaptor" recommended?

Thanks

Message 30 of 35
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SV_Gary,

Can you please confirm that your WNCE2001 is running firmware 1.0.0.26 ? Also, is your modem/router updated?
Were you able to replicate the steps provided by other community members?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

NhanN

Message 31 of 35
jeremyclevenger
Aspirant

I was able to successfully flash the firmware on the WNCE2001 to 1.0.0.26 using the methods described and brought it back to a working condition.  My router, a WNR2000v4, is up to date as well at version 1.0.0.60.  If you would like to send out a Nighthawk X4 or X6 for feedback and firmware tests I would be more than happy to write up an honest and technically objective eval using iPhone 6 and Surface Pro 3 wireless ac network adapters.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 35
piegone77
Aspirant

hello, I wanted to thank you for your explanation.
thanks to Italy

Message 33 of 35
giorgiorgio
Aspirant

Fantastic! 

Working again!!

Message 34 of 35
Doclipper
Initiate

I am a Mac user and did not see any reference to how to do the fix discussed by jalloma2.  However, I was able to apply this fix from a Mac.

A couple of observations.

1.  I use a MacBook air without an ethernet port.  I found an older MacBook pro at work that has an ethernet port and used that machine.  You can also purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter at Best Buy, the Apple Store, etc.  - not expensive.

2. The link to the CNET website to download the TFTP Cient has an option to download a Mac version.  You can also get the tFTP client at the Apple App Store. It works!

3. When configuring your Mac, use Network in the System Preferences ("gear wheel") app. Use the same settings for IP address, etc. specified by jalloma2.  NOTE: After setting the IP address manually (and be sure to turn off WiFi on your machine), I tried to ping the WNCE2001 using the Terminal utility and I could not reach the unit; message was "timed out".  IGNORE THIS.

4. In the Address field in the TFTP (Send) client, use 192.168.1.251. Press "File" and navigate to where you have downloaded the Firmware and then Start.  THE WNCE2001 CAN BE FLASHED WITH THE NEW FIRMWARE EVEN IF THE PING COMMAND FAILED!!!!!

5. To test the success, with wifi still off on your computer, go to "mywifiext.net" from your browser.  It will open and check that your firmware is correctly loaded an correct version (V1.0.0.26NA)

Hope that helps all you Mac users out there. Would also like to add my thanks to jalloma2 for a great post.  BTW, I use this unit to connect my solar panels to my wireless network for monitoring purposes.

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7